Linguaholic

What's Your Favorite Spanish book?

In delving into Spanish culture and customs, and getting a fuller and deeper understanding of the Spanish language, people, and manner of speaking, I have gotten "lost" in several Spanish literature books .

I am caught up with the poetic beauty of the way that these books are written, the sheer drama that unfolds , as well as trying to decipher the mystery in which certain characters are shrouded in.

My favorite Spanish book of all time is "Crónica  de Una Muerte Anunciada", which I love although the plot and the unfolding of it actually haunts me!

What are your favorite Spanish books of all time?

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked ''El Esclavo'' by Francisco J. Angel, this is probably the only books I have finished reading in only one night, that's how much I liked it.  I loved the plot, I loved everything and the way it makes you change your perception of life and death.  I loved it, it makes you see life in a different way.

I heard about it thanks to my cousin, he was going to a therapist because he tried to kill himself, the therapist asked him to read this book. He liked it so much he recommended it to me and here I am :)

• 1 month later...

I don't think I have ever read a Spanish book, but I have read two Spanish novels that were translated. I highly recommend, Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Unfortunately he died this year in April, but that man is one of the most talented authors I have ever read. I think what pulled me in was his satire, it's phenomenal. And Chronicle of a Death Foretold is one of those books where you learn more as you keep reading it. You may or may not hate it at first (I did), but you will fall in love with it as you read it over and over again.

So far, it's Don Quixote. I haven't finished it yet but it's extremely good so far. I'm reading it in English right now, but sometimes I reread a chapter or two in Spanish so I can see the difference between the English and Spanish versions of the story. Don Quixote is a nut-job, though. However, I like the messages the story tells. I also liked Una Carta a Dios. It's a short story, but I liked it. I also want to read One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I heard that it's a good read, too.