Linguaholic

Goodreads

chigreyofthenorns

Are you familiar with Goodreads? It's a website that reviews all kinds of books. Its other features include the list of books written by authors, famous quotes, and recommended reads. I have tried this once while I was looking for reviews on books by Charlaine Harris.

What are your thoughts on this website?

I have a profile on Goodreads, but I rarely use it. I really like the interface, it makes it easy for you to track your books. You can rate the books and write reviews as well, which is an added benefit. I mainly use it to keep track of all the books I've read during the years.

I used to belong to a similar website many years ago, Shelfari, but I only signed up for it, added all the books I had ever read, and completely forgot about it afterwards. I like Goodreads better because it automatically adds my facebook friends (thought some may think of it as an annoyance), and I'm usually better at updating it with every book I read, since it's an app on my phone.

I have never used a website to review books, I always chose a book because it was at the book store or a friend recommended it. But I like this site, particularly the 'Best of...' list. I am sure there will be a couple of gems that I haven't read. Thanks for that.

Yeah it's a good way to get a quick look at the feedback from people who have read the book. But most of the time they're either just fans expressing their love for the authors or just plain old haters. So I don't really rely 100% on them but it's a good useful website if you want to check on the feedback.

I love goodreads. 

I have been a member since 2007.  For several years, I had been very active in the site, moderating several groups.  For people who love to discuss books, it is a great site to meet fellow readers.  I made some good friends in the site. Although my participation had dwindled down recently due to real life commitments, I still visit goodreads almost every day.

I use it mainly to record the books I've read and to keep track of my ever-expanding to-be-read shelf that I probably need several lifetimes to finish. GR keeps my reading organized.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Goodreads all the time.  I love this website.  There are some users who write out well articulated, thought out reviews of books (sometimes with spoilers, sometimes without) and then there are users (like me) who simply give it a rating and move on.

I use it a great deal to check out "the hot new books" being released to see if they worth the read or if a series is coming to an end to get an idea of how it ended, before I pick up the book.

• 4 weeks later...

I did not know about this website, I will make sure to check it out. I enjoy reading a good book every now and then. Thanks for sharing this information. It is my dream to write stories for children; therefore I am learning everything I can about books. I have made a quick stop at the website and it looks very promising. I have even seen that one of my classmates in my Facebook contact list uses the website.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an account on Goodreads and use it sometimes.

What I find great about Goodreads is, it reminds me that there are so many people out there, who actually read books and are passionate about it. Especially books I read, which is not always a best-seller. It's often said that the number of readers is decreasing, but there are people who read, even outside of universities. That is really good to know :love:

I really don't mind using book review sites but i'm not familiar with Goodreads. It would certainly make sense to keep a list  of all the books I have read and also have the priviledge of choosing books I want to read based on the reviews of others.

• 11 months later...

Love Goodreads. I've deleted my accounts in most of social media sites but this one is something I can't give up :)

I find new books for my "to read" list there. And it's extremely useful to keep a track of what I've already read and liked (or tried to read and gave up on).

I love Goodreads. I always use it to check out new releases for both fiction and non-fiction. It only has book reviews, which is a must for me before purchasing any book.  I also love the many "genres" you can search from. :laugh:

I used to use Amazon to check for reviews and look for new books, but not anymore.

Edited by Starfield

I love Goodreads. I always use it to check out new releases for both fiction and non-fiction. It only has book reviews, which is a must for me before purchasing any book.  I also love the many "genres" you can search from. :laugh:

I used to use Amazon to check for reviews and look for new books, but not anymore.

I sometimes use Amazon when I look for new books but I do prefer goodreads. I can't always rely on the general "score" of the book or top reviews but one thing that I find really great is that there are many like-minded people there :) So I can go and browse their bookshelves, see what they liked and I try it for myself. I've manged to find a lot of interesting books in that way.

I rely on reviews on Goodreads more than those on Amazon (unless they're verified purchases). I get the feeling that reviewers on Goodreads are more upfront and honest about the books they're reviewing. @anna3101 is right, I do find that there are more like-minded people there than on Amazon. Although I do feel that some people should take it easy on those GIFs. Some are really obnoxious and annoying.

• 8 months later...

I am on goodreads. I have friends on goodreads, I have even rated and reviewed books on goodreads. However, I don't use this site currently. I believe this is a great site for book lovers to find books, share your ideas about books and connect with the people who have similar interest. If you have time, this is a great site. I abandoned the site just because I did not have time.