Linguaholic

Good Evening!

LSJ-8

Good Evening, one and all!  My handle is LSJ-8.  You can call me LSJ or SJ if you would like.  LSJ stands for Lady Sarah Jane and 8 is my favorite number.  I am a stay at home mom and part time substitute teacher.  I live the southwestern United States.

I spent six months studying aboard in Germany.  I knew German well enough while I lived there to get around, to ask questions, order food, and apologize (a lot!).  That was eight years ago.  Now... sadly, I know very little of it.  However, I haven't used it, so I lost it.

My children are 3 and 10 months.  My 3 year old knows approximately a dozen American Sign Language signs and my 10 month old knows two.  (We teach them 5 at a time).  I taught/am teaching my children ASL to make it easier to communicate with me and my husband.  It has been very successful and my son loves to continue learning new signs.

My 3 year old and I are also learning Spanish together.  I am not a fluent speaker, but I would like my son to be.  We live only a few hours from the Mexican border and working in the public schools it is very difficult (for me and other individuals) when I don't speak Spanish.

Hey LSJ! Welcome to the forums! It's great to get children learning languages early - I seriously applaud you for that. Teaching them ASL is super creative, too! I'd never think to do that.

Are you planning on trying to pick up German again, or is it a lost cause? Have you moved on completely to ASL and Spanish? :)

Hey LSJ! Welcome to the forums! It's great to get children learning languages early - I seriously applaud you for that. Teaching them ASL is super creative, too! I'd never think to do that.

Are you planning on trying to pick up German again, or is it a lost cause? Have you moved on completely to ASL and Spanish? :)

I would like to pick up German again, unfortunately I don't think it is in the cards for the near future.  I haven't met a single German speaking individual (aside from the occasional foreign exchange student) in our area.  Where we live Spanish is pretty predominant and I think it is important for us to put our emphasis there.

I still have all of my German language learning tools and am unwilling to part with them.  I do wish to return to Germany at some point, so I may have need for them again... someday.