Linguaholic

Study Tagalog Sub-forum

Hi!

I just have a little suggestion. I think that the "Study Tagalog" sub-forum should be changed to "Study Filipino" because Filipino is the correct term for the national language of the Philippines. Tagalog is just the basis for it, and it's more like a dialect. :)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Oh, is that so? I was completely unaware of that fact! In this case, I will soon change it into Study Filipino.! I did not want to be rude or something! Thank you for pointing this out!

kind regards

lingua

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's ok for the sub-forum to be called  as "Study Tagalog" because it is a standardized form of Tagalog anyway, according to Google:

"Fil·i·pi·no

ˌfiləˈpēnō/

noun

a native or national of the Philippines, or a person of Filipino descent.

the national language of the Philippines, a standardized form of Tagalog.

adjective

relating to the Philippines, the Filipinos, or their language."

I think Tagalog is our national language, and the rest like Bisaya, Kapampangan, etc. are the dialects.

I would like to agree in a way, but I don't mind if they use "Study Tagalog." Filipino is such a broad term because the Philippines is composed of several languages and dialects. Bisaya, the language of Cebuanos and several people in the Visayas and Mindanao areas, is itself considered a language. Would you not consider it a Filipino language knowing that the people speaking it are also Filipinos? I mean, just the point I want to raise. Tagalog is all right as it is. Filipino could be an umbrella term referring to all the languages spoken by Filipinos and not just Tagalog.

I would like to agree in a way, but I don't mind if they use "Study Tagalog." Filipino is such a broad term because the Philippines is composed of several languages and dialects. Bisaya, the language of Cebuanos and several people in the Visayas and Mindanao areas, is itself considered a language. Would you not consider it a Filipino language knowing that the people speaking it are also Filipinos? I mean, just the point I want to raise. Tagalog is all right as it is. Filipino could be an umbrella term referring to all the languages spoken by Filipinos and not just Tagalog.

Yeah you got a point, Tagalog is more specific to the language that is being discussed in the forum. Filipino just seems really broad to me, it encompasses all our dialects plus Tagalog. So it's ok for that section to be called as is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would also say that it is more proper to use the Filipino than the Tagalog. It is because what Filipinos are using/speaking now is not purely Tagalog.

But I would not mind if it will remain as it is, if more will prefer the "Tagalog" cause it was more known as the Filipino language.

• 3 weeks later...

Tagalog is a dialect and not what the national language of the Philippines is called. Technically, it is appropriate to call it Filipino as the national language of the Filipinos, the people of the Philippines.

Anyway, one more consideration in using Filipino instead of Tagalog is that the latter also has different terms in certain provinces that use that as their dialect. You know, just like the Bicol dialect is to Bicolanos. Each Bicol province in the Bicol region has different terms for words that mean the same.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...