Linguaholic

Have you been able to grasp humor in your new language?

Saholy

After years of trying to learn different languages, we have found that the most difficult thing to obtain to is humor in the new language. One of our instructors suggested we learn at least two good jokes to help 'break the ice' when we are trying to gain more experience with common language interchanges. There are many different ways which one might be able to gain more of an understanding of what is considered culturally humorous in another language. What do you think? Have you been able to grasp humor in your new language? If so, how have you done so?

Yeah, this has usually been simply not understand a phrase despite being able to translate it fully. I'll then ask a native speak what on earth it means and they will explain the pun. Humour is generally quite universal especially in western Europe, although it might be harder for those learning Chinese/Hindi etc. You just pick it up over time.

Thanks, I have found that physical humor is easier to grasp at first than idiomatic expression or puns. Some local artisans have voiced over old Charlie Chaplain films so that you can hear voices while it plays. Since the films are very clear because they are so physical, it is easy for me to see the point of humor the local language is trying to make. Watching it with friends has been a fun way to develop this part of our language skills.

Not really. I have been studying Korean for quite some time now. When I am in class, the advanced students and the teacher would sometimes laugh about something. For the life of me, I couldn't understand what they are talking about, so I just sit there staring at them.  :bored:

English is my foreign language, although I am accustomed to using it because it is widely spoken in my country. I'm not yet that advanced to grasp whole sentences in the language that I'm trying to learn, but I think once you're already fluent in the language that you're trying to learn, then you can just easily grasp the humor in that certain language the way you grasp humor in your local language.

After years of trying to learn different languages, we have found that the most difficult thing to obtain to is humor in the new language. One of our instructors suggested we learn at least two good jokes to help 'break the ice' when we are trying to gain more experience with common language interchanges. There are many different ways which one might be able to gain more of an understanding of what is considered culturally humorous in another language. What do you think? Have you been able to grasp humor in your new language? If so, how have you done so?

Well, my new language was English, and as of right now, most of humor I read is in English and when I browse Reddit for some silly stuff every little thing is in English so yeah, I can understand humor in my new language.

I can tell one joke in Spanish, but that's it. It's only a simple joke I heard in English and came up with my own translation for. If I could ever read humorous writings in Spanish, that'd be the day.

Oh yeah, Dutch humor doesn't crack me up not even one bit.  And yeah, I'm sure isn't about the language, not that much (but it makes it worse), it's more about their humor being different to our humor.  Dutch humor is actually kinda odd, it's hard to really grasp it!

I have tried more than once, but I really can't!  I wonder if other immigrants feel the same way I do! I bet they do!  I miss the sense of humor of my country!

Yes, i've been able to grasp humor in the language i'm learning. This happens when I watch movies or I may choose to watch cartoons to learn something new and then I happen to laugh a lot from watching. I must confess tha sometimes I am not able to translate everything but I still get the humor.

I haven't had much of a problem picking up humor in other languages. I think for the most part it's easy to tell when people are trying to be funny. By their body language and how they say things. It's pretty say to pick up on in my opinion. A sense of humor is pretty universal.

Unfortunately, not yet. Mainly because I'm still trying to figure out what's being said and not just reacting to the funny moment. A lot of humor is reacting to the moment, and if you don't know what's being said, you sort of miss the humor.

I'd like to think I'm starting to get closer though with my comprehension.

Not really, because I'm still far from being totally fluent in my other languages. Still, I could somehow grasp a bit of the expressions and into nations, but other than that I know just as much as anyone else. I've also learned a few words in Japanese that I recognize in comedy shows, but it's not enough to make me content with the amount I know, which is why I hope to learn more soon.

I am getting a lot of the Spanish humour, but occasionally something totally escapes me, and my Latin friends can't believe that I am not getting it. On the other hand, they can stare at me with totally blank expressions when I am telling them a German joke. It goes right past them. They don't get it.

To some extent but it is definitely more challenging than I was anticipating. It requires not just a grasp on the language but also cultural differences to some extent. Something that might be humorous in one language might be inappropriate or nonsensical in another; so I do think it's a learning process for sure.