Linguaholic

Cannot find a good audiobook for the life of me.

KeepYourChinUp

Hello everyone. I decided to register here in the hopes that someone who was once in my position can help me. I'm just starting to learn Modern Standard Arabic and I'm trying to look for an audiobook that also requires you to write too.

For example I found an amazing audiobook called Total Arabic (Learn Arabic with the Michel Thomas method) and I've only listened to the first 15minutes for free and already want to buy it but it's just audio... not actual book comes with it so you have no way of relating what is being said to text or getting the opportunity to write it yourself.

I want to do more than just speak the language, I want to learn how to read and write it and I I'm trying to find a book that has it all in one. I'd like an audiobook that first teaches you how to speak the basic things and then teaches you to write those same things.

It would be nice to find a book that teaches you how to say "Hello, my name is Ryan" and then it shows you how to write it. I will 100% buy that Total Arabic book but it would be great if something similar existed that also taught you reading and writing at the same time so you really get a feel for learning the language and not just memorising a bunch of phrases.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Have you considered buying not just an audiobook for a novel, but the accompanying hardcover of the novel? That way, when the audiobook is reading the story, you can go along with the text. It's not a learning book, but immersion into a language is still very helpful. Also, you could do the same with movies (just turn on the subtitles to the language you want to learn).

The Total Arabic audiobook isn't a novel it's a classroom tutor type book but there are probably some audiobooks out there that tell you how to say for example "What is the time please" and then in the book that comes with it, shows you how to write it.

I'm just having difficulty finding these audiobooks which comes with an actual book relating to the content.

I have found several Arabic audio books by searching on Youtube. Since I do not speak Arabic, I am not sure which ones are the best. But here is one that popped up in full:

There are also some in several parts if your browser is slower. Thanks to your post I found the Quran in Malagasy! Thanks! There is a huge Muslim culture here and I will find this very interesting. There are some words that we use that are directly from the Arabic language years ago when the first immigrants came over, so it might be interesting to delve into.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon is probably a good place to look for audio books as well as the paper version.  I don't know how many sellers there are of non-English material, but it's such a huge site there is likely something out there that might help you.

The Total Arabic audiobook isn't a novel it's a classroom tutor type book but there are probably some audiobooks out there that tell you how to say for example "What is the time please" and then in the book that comes with it, shows you how to write it.

I'm just having difficulty finding these audiobooks which comes with an actual book relating to the content.

Uhm, you mean and audio books that comes with the transcription of the course?  Gee, that's hard!  Maybe you should try a standard course that comes with audio.  But most audio books are just that audio books, but I understand your predicament... I was learning dutch with an audio book, but felt really frustrated because the course doesn't even come with a transcription of at least the phrases and vocabulary used in each lesson.  Major bummer.

Uhm, you mean and audio books that comes with the transcription of the course?  Gee, that's hard!  Maybe you should try a standard course that comes with audio.  But most audio books are just that audio books, but I understand your predicament... I was learning dutch with an audio book, but felt really frustrated because the course doesn't even come with a transcription of at least the phrases and vocabulary used in each lesson.  Major bummer.

So in this Dutch audiobook how did is say for example "What is the time please?" and then it will tell you how to say it in Dutch?

I guess that isn't too bad but it would be nice if with the audibook they gave you the text version so you are learning to read and speak dutch, not just speaking it.

• 2 weeks later...

What is a good Spanish audiobook? I haven't been able to find many of those either. I need it to be a of a reasonable price as well, as I don't have a lot of extra income to throw around at this time. Thanks for your help in advance.