Linguaholic

Do you feel the world would benefit from having everyone know English?

A0130

Those who would benefit from everyone knowing English wold be entertainers and maybe authors because they'd be more people to sell their stuff to. Apart from that, any other effects would mostly be negative.

If Karl Marx's books could enslave millions then imagine the sort of influence literature created with the specific purpose of misleading people could do.

IMO, we're better off as we are right now.

I think one world language would help, whether that was English or something else.  Communication can solve many differences that arise in the world from culture conflicts and misunderstandings.

English is the universal language and learning it can entitle one to gain lots of opportunities within his country and abroad. Since it is a major medium of expression in most schools and workplaces, it is a must to be able to be fluent or at least speak and understand the language. :)

Pros for one universal language:

Better communication, job opportunities in different countries, ease-of-access for the scientific comunity, and easier international trading.

Cons for one universal language:

Decline in diversity of thinking, death of thousands of great expressions and mannerisms that relate to specific languages, and basically losing most of our touch with our cultures and older traditions/heritage.

Also, if I were to pick a universal language it would be a variant of English properly adjusted to make more sense and include more vocabulary and meanings.

Something like this could probably never be implemented properly, and the language chosen would be ruined and grafted to bits by all the joining countries trying to adjust to it.

I like how you broke things down in your post. I do agree with the pros and cons you mentioned ! Of course there are many more pros and cons that one might add, however you named some of the key aspects.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I'm American, I really don't like the idea of making English an universal language.

The idea of an universal translator (from Star Trek) is much more appealing to me. It would allow for universal understanding while allowing countries to hold onto their cultural heritage.