Linguaholic

Lexly - A contextual chat app (my own creation)

monkey_and_ramsel

Hello Linguaholic,

I have been working on an app of my own and would like some feedback on the idea.

The initial version is basically a chat app like HelloTalk. However, I found that HelloTalk really lacked some features, the main one being not knowing what to talk about. Lexly fixes that by plugging into content on the internet to use as context within a chat app. So you press a button in the chat and a piece of content appears in the window.

The initial version has 2 topic types.

1. Pictures from Reddit subs - I put 'awww' as one of the subs so you can teach each other names of cute animals, for example.

2. Questions from eslconversationquestions.com. I found these on Google and the owner of the site was kind enough to let me use them. These are also translated into French and Spanish.

I'm working on adding more content types. I think this is key, and can be really fun. I'm a believer in the approach that to learn a language you have to start using it from day one, and then keep using it and using it, and I think fun is the key to staying engaged.

There are some screenshots at: http://imgur.com/a/uTCte

The website is www.lexly.me

Any feedback is welcome!

Hello Linguaholic,

I have been working on an app of my own and would like some feedback on the idea.

The initial version is basically a chat app like HelloTalk. However, I found that HelloTalk really lacked some features, the main one being not knowing what to talk about. Lexly fixes that by plugging into content on the internet to use as context within a chat app. So you press a button in the chat and a piece of content appears in the window.

The initial version has 2 topic types.

1. Pictures from Reddit subs - I put 'awww' as one of the subs so you can teach each other names of cute animals, for example.

2. Questions from eslconversationquestions.com. I found these on Google and the owner of the site was kind enough to let me use them. These are also translated into French and Spanish.

I'm working on adding more content types. I think this is key, and can be really fun. I'm a believer in the approach that to learn a language you have to start using it from day one, and then keep using it and using it, and I think fun is the key to staying engaged.

There are some screenshots at: http://imgur.com/a/uTCte

The website is www.lexly.me

Any feedback is welcome!

Seems amazing cant wait to try it. Also I love reddit! Let me know when I can buy it/download it, or if I can already!

• 1 month later...

This looks like a neat app. I love reddit, and having conversations based on cute animal photos and other posts is a great idea. I like that there are other conversation starter topics as well. I would be interested in trying it out if you come out with an android app!

OMG!!!!! Your idea is just brilliant!  Please let us know when your app is out, I definitely love the idea of being suggested different conversation topics, so  I can talk about it with someone else and feel basically o pressure while practicing a language.  Your idea is just brilliant, love it!  I have never heard of a similar idea, best of luck with your app, you are obviously a genius :)