Linguaholic

What is your favorite accent?

Saholy

One thing I have found that has varied in travels is peoples opinions of accent. I personally love a good accent but some find it to make the speaking of the language inaccurate. The English language has so much variety in accent that I don't think one can really claim to pronounce certain vowels the right way. My name is said in several different ways depending on what country one is from. I think my favorite accent is probably a Scottish one. What about you? Do you have a favorite accent? Or do you feel if a person is a fluent speaker they should not have one?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I am a Native speaking, New York Born and Raised fellow. I was born in Brooklyn, but I have never had an accent. I just sound like me.

My favorite accent is that Michael Caine type sounding English accent. I have quite a few friends from England, but none of them with the aforementioned accent.

I like British accents and. French accents. I like. French accents a bit more on women because I find it to be very adorable. English accents sound regal to me though I am aware that there are some variations that may sound a bit less posh, but they are all still equally amusing for me personally. American accents are underrated too, in my opinion, because we are so used to them, but I think they are pretty adorable too, particularly Texan and Brooklyn accents.

One thing I have found that has varied in travels is peoples opinions of accent. I personally love a good accent but some find it to make the speaking of the language inaccurate. The English language has so much variety in accent that I don't think one can really claim to pronounce certain vowels the right way. My name is said in several different ways depending on what country one is from. I think my favorite accent is probably a Scottish one. What about you? Do you have a favorite accent? Or do you feel if a person is a fluent speaker they should not have one?

I would say the British accent , they just tend to pronounce words in a much proper way, ther Italian accent is also great, those are the two most accents that I do enjoy the most.

I wouldn't say an accent is all about pronunciation. I think it is also in how the person sways the words. Anyway, I prefer an accent that is clear in pronunciation, meaning every letter can be heard. One such accent is that of Jamaican's, when they speak the queen's english. I also like the British and Australian accents.

There is an interesting variation, isn't there? I'm fascinated by accents and the subtle (or not so subtle) differences they can create in speaking and expressing things...I don't really care for Southern US accents. I love British and Australian ones, though :).

I think Australians have fantastic accents. As well as the British. Those two accents are just great to me. I find them sophisticated and at times funny. I'm from the Southern United States and a lot of people down here certainly have accents that stick out. Most people seem to have a love hate relationship with the southern accent. I personally don't have much of one, but I don't mind them overall.

I love the Italian accent. It is melodic and often quite amusing to me, especially when my Italian friend tries to tell me about something serious, and it all sounds like music in my ears. I adore everything about the Italian language and mentality. I also like certain Scandinavian accents, such as Danish and Finnish. People from those countries have a lovely "lulling" kind of pronunciation when they talk in English. At least, that's how it sounds to me. :)

I have always admired the British accent.  I think that among the other accents, British is the one that sounds the most formal, classy, and beautiful.  There are accents that sound as if the person is always angry, or lazy, and that is not good to listen to -- but the British accent sounds perfect, in my opinion.

The American accent is my favorite accent. It maches up with my personality. It's a little laid back, smoother than the rest. I just love listening to it. I also speak it myself.

I lived in the UK for 8 years and the British accent isn't bad either. I think it's a little conservative though.  :smile: It sounds a little strict for me.

I came to like the Chinese accent. It's kind of soothing, especially the female Chinese accent. Other than that one, I don't really love any accent too much but most are neutral to me. I like a few. And a few sound awful.

I like the British and the French accents. There's something very candid and quirky about British accents. After all the Brits are know for their wits (wow, that just rhymed). The French, on one hand, have a very romantic accent. It prevents them from speaking too loudly. So they sound as if they're whispering when they're actually not.

I think the British accent would be the best accent among all the other accents that I have heard. It sounds so nice and even sexy. And I think that having an accent should not be the measure of whether a person is a fluent speaker or not, because accents are acquired due to speaking your native language, so you can't easily erase it.

I had a Russian music teacher for several years.  I really liked his accent a lot, but it didn't take long for me to stop noticing he had one.  I tend to not notice accents very much.  Once I get to know someone that all lumps together in my brain as simply part of the timbre of their voice.

• 2 weeks later...

My absolute favourite accent in all the world is the Geordie accent. This accent is found in Newcastle England, it's located extreme North, next stop after Newcastle and you're in Scotland.For an example of this accent, think of Brian Johnson, the lead singer of AC/DC.

I would have to say my favorite accent is by for an English accent because of how useful and enjoyable it is to listen too. I would always be interested in learning this accent.

What would be the point of learning this accent? Are you an actor or do you think by being in possession of it , it will further your position in society?  Just curious.

My favourite accent is Italian and I love the American accent and find myself drawn in when someone speaks with it. I also think that with Italian it sounds so exotic and full of expression that you cant help but listen to what is being said.

I agree with you Rosa, Jamaicans speaking the queen's English do so beautifully. It is clear and precise, unlike some persons who speak with an accent. I however love the French accent, it is very beautiful. If I had a French boyfriend, he would have a lot of talking to do. :laugh:

I really like accents from like Norway or England.

I am Mexican and don't really have a Mexican accent. Mine is very neutral but it does tend to come out sometimes during certain words. I moved to the US when I was 8 yrs old and really worked hard to speak English, I guess I worked too hard because now most people can't tell I'm Hispanic by my voice.

I like the British accents and I think that's the reason why I am mostly attracted with films that includes British actors and actresses. The way they pronounce words just sounds good no matter what they are saying.