Linguaholic

What Language is Most Valuable to Learn

DancingLady

Besides English, in your opinion, what language is most valuable to learn? What are your reasons for choosing that one?

In my opinion, Spanish is probably the most valuable language to learn because it is so common in the US now.  In fact it is difficult to find a job in some industries if you do not know some Spanish. I even found advertisements for hotel housekeepers, entirely in Spanish!!! Obviously they do not think anyone who is not hispanic would bother applying there.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It always depends on where you are. For most Americans, Spanish will be most valuable. For Filipinos, probably Chinese (since they already have English.) In general, though, French is still a good one to learn. It was once the international language and is still spread far and wide. Learning French will give you access to France, parts of Africa, parts of the Caribbean, a bit of South America.

Apart from English, I would have to say Chinese is the most valuable language to learn. With all the business that other countries do with China it would certainly be an asset to not have an interpreter all the time. It would make business much easier and could even take some doubts away causing business to increase.

Besides English, in your opinion, what language is most valuable to learn? What are your reasons for choosing that one?

In my opinion, Spanish is probably the most valuable language to learn because it is so common in the US now.  In fact it is difficult to find a job in some industries if you do not know some Spanish. I even found advertisements for hotel housekeepers, entirely in Spanish!!! Obviously they do not think anyone who is not hispanic would bother applying there.

Since I already know spanish, even though the housekeeping thing was a little racist. I think it would be mandarin. I think it is a very important language in the business world right after english.

Speaking of Mandarin, I have read that a lot of adult English learners in Asia are learning English not to speak with Westerners (usually) but to speak to other Asians on matters of business. I mean, English has a strong presence everywhere, so it is certainly more valuable internationally than Korean or Japanese. So instead of learning those languages, everyone can communicate easiest if they all learn English. This was just something I read though.

I think that English is the most valuable language as it is used by so many people. It is our official language. Besides, being able to speak and write fluent English is very marketable in my region. That said,  it is always an added advantage to learn a new language.

I think English is still the most valuable language today. Even if Spanish is necessary for most jobs, I'd submit that English would be even more necessary for the deals made to make those jobs even exist. I'd also consider Chinese as somewhat being as important due to the sheer number of opportunities that could be opened up to you if you know how to speak it, not only in terms of employment but also in terms of trade and possibly export.

I agree, Spanish is a most useful language as it is spoken in many countries. It was a big surprise for me to find out that many people in Spain and Latin America don't speak English at all. As an English teacher I am very much in demand here in Colombia, as many people want to learn English with a native speaker.

Being able to speak fluent English and Spanish has become very important in my life.

I believe it all depends on your location or the type of business or work that you do,and you sorroundings, because you could learn a languae that might not benefit you.

Don't be too sure that they advertised in Spanish because no one else would want to apply for the job. It could simply mean that they have opening for only Spanish speakers now or they have had hispanics who have work to their liking before.

It depends on the country, really. In the USA, Spanish is probably the most valuable due to how many Spanish natives live there or go there as tourists. I know other countries, like my Venezuela, have a lot of Chinese immigrants, though they learn Spanish really fast and communication isn't much of a problem most of the time...

• 2 weeks later...

In America, I think it's most valuable to learn Spanish. I think it's going to become more and more important in the future as we have more and more of our citizens be of hispanic descent. It will really open up your job opportunities and allow you to communicate with these immigrants. It's one of the reasons I'm learning Spanish right now.

I would also say that Mandarin is becoming a very valuable language to know.  Although many Chinese people are learning English, the prominence of Chinese business in international trade would make it a good language to know if you are in the trade business, as it shows respect for your business partners there if you know some of their language as well.

I think after English it would be Arabic for me, because it will help me understand the Holy Quran better.

English is universal, so that could be important for everyone but after that, it just depends on the person and where he is.

The second foreign language you should learn is entirely subjective. If you travel somewhere a lot, if you have friends from that country, or you have dealings with that country then go for that. English is unquestionably top for MOST of the world, although some places may require you to learn another second language other than English.

Well obviously I think Mandarin is the most important language to learn, one must be able to ingratiate themselves to the new slave-master after all :laugh:. Twas Napolean who said "China is a sleeping giant", well that giant has most decidedly woken up!...and the sun has most definitely set on the British Empire.

So in order of importance for this planet: Mandarin, Spanish, English...then Swahili so that all the continents are represented.

I feel that English is still the most valuable language to have in your arsenal. English is necessary for many jobs. It is also the most widely spoken language, so you will have higher chances of meeting someone who also speaks it. Furthermore, English is almost compulsory if you want to use the internet for anything at all.

I feel that English is still the most valuable language to have in your arsenal. English is necessary for many jobs. It is also the most widely spoken language, so you will have higher chances of meeting someone who also speaks it. Furthermore, English is almost compulsory if you want to use the internet for anything at all.

How can English be the most widely spoken language if there are nearly one and half billion Chinese, not to mention one Billion Indians and there are 7 billion of us on the planet?, so when one factors in all the other non-English speaking nations, I don't think statistically it is the most widely spoken language. It's definitely the most "establishment" language on the planet, I'll give you that.

Besides English, probably French.

While it's true that Spanish is most widely spoken that French, I feel like French gathers more interests from scientists and important people. Just taking a look at the 2014 Nobel Prize winners, you can see that the Nobel Prize in literature and economic sciences were won by French people.

I think French is a valuable language to learn as it is taught in almost every country. English is also the most common language and in many countries you will always find someone that can communicate in English.

I'd definitely say Spanish is the most valuable. It is quickly becoming a universal language. It might even surpass English one of these days. Educators must know that it is on the rise because Spanish is mandatory in a lot high schools these days.

I'd definitely say Spanish is the most valuable. It is quickly becoming a universal language. It might even surpass English one of these days. Educators must know that it is on the rise because Spanish is mandatory in a lot high schools these days.

I think there's good chance Spanish will surpass English, in the United States, in the next 20 years, but not worldwide...that trophy still goes to Mandarin.

Aside from English, I think, the language that is most valuable to learn is Japanese. Well, it's for me though. I personally believe that Japanese is easy to learn and can help you deal with Japanese people and get involve with Japan which is now a booming country. Maybe chinese also can be a valuable one because of the chinese people around the world and their big role in the business industry.

It really depends on where you are, or where you plan on living. In Europe, I think it's probably Spanish or German. A lot of people know German, so it's easy to communicate with others. Same with Spanish. Mandarin probably won't be that useful in Europe. French is also pretty useful, but IMO not as much as Spanish or German.