Linguaholic

What Language is Most Valuable to Learn

DancingLady

In the US, Spanish is definitely the best 2nd language to learn. But really it all comes down to where in the US you live, what industry you work in, and what level in your industry you work at.

If you live full-time in southern states like Florida, Georgia, Texas and Arizona - Spanish is definitely the best language to learn. I know in South Florida, it's hard to even go shopping if you don't understand some Spanish since many of the retail workers don't speak English.

However, if you live up north and work in a high-level corporate position with the majority business deals being done with Europeans or Asians, French or Chinese may be a better language to learn.

I agree it depends where you live and with what nation you intend to speak / do business with. In Poland, although the English language is in the first place, German and Russian are also popular because of the proximity. Outside of that, we study languages based on which culture or language we find interesting.

You can download the free E-book "Learning Languages - How and Why" here.

http://teachmenewlanguages.wordpress.com/

It includes 66 reasons why learning languages is beneficial and it reveals the best methods and strategies to improve your language skills.

I agree that Spanish is a language that is most valuable to learn aside from English. In my country, our words are mostly influenced by the Spanish language and I think other countries as well have words that they adapted from it. However learning a second language that you can call valuable to learn still depends on where you will be using it or what you will be using it for. If let's say you start a business in Asia, in a specific country in that continent, you need to learn the common language used from that country for you to be able to communicate well.

• 2 weeks later...

This depends on your location. I'd say for people in the US, Spanish would certainly be the most valuable. Over here in Ireland and in the UK, people favour French as the foreign language to be taught in schools. I'm not sure why - I know that it's common for people who do Law and Business degrees in college to keep and maintain their French, so perhaps it's something to do with that?

I would say all languages are valuable to learn, it all depends on your needs and reasons for learning that language. If you have to learn a certain language because of a job then that language is more valuable to you than others. If you have to learn a certain language so as to communicate well with your girlfriend then that language is more important to you than all.

I would definitely have to say Chinese, in my opinion. Having the ability to speak Chinese seems to open up a lot of business and work opportunities for people, and it is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world, if I recall correctly. There's a large population of non-native Chinese speakers or individuals who are learning the language, although Mandarin is said to be one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn. It is definitely an advantage to go live and work or study in China for a period of time to properly learn the language to open up new doors in life and make some new friends!

For me, French is the most valuable language for me to learn. The reason being is I am surrounded by Francophone countries and there is a lot of trade and immigration between these countries and my own. This would make it easier for me to communicate with people who do not speak English or any of my other native languages.

It depends on where you are going, on your profession and how you will use it. I think European countries have other European language subject in their curriculum. If you are American, learning Spanish and other European language can be useful for travel or as English translator since some of the European countries don't speak English and Spanish is also a language spoken in Latin America. If you're a traveler and you want to travel in a country of non English speaking people then it's best to learn even the basics and if you want to be an English translator, you have to take language courses and exams.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say one of the most valuable languages would be Arabic, especially for my intended field in cyber security. If I work for a governmental agency like the NSA then I think Arabic would be a valuable asset. However, if I work in the private sector (which I intend on doing because they pay way more), then I think Arabic would be less valuable job-wise, but more valuable in the deficiency of those that speak Arabic in the United States. Or rather, there seems to be a deficiency. But maybe there is not.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe Spanish is the second-most spoken language in world. There are numerous countries that have Spanish as their official language, so it would be the most vital. This would especially be true if you planned on doing very much world-travelling. A large percentage of Central America and South America are Spanish-speaking countries, so in those regions I would definitely learn it.

I would say the value is based on why the person is learning the language(s). If someone planning to move to the United States to better their lives is learning English, this is most certainly going to be the most valuable. They will need to be able to interact with potential bosses, etc. and speaking and understanding English would be vital.

It depends on the country you are in and your preference. If you live in India just like me, you'd have to learn some German and French along with English language. So I think French and German are the two invaluable languages you have to learn to make a killing in India.

I think this question depends more so on where you live.

If you live in the United States, being bilingual helps in knowing Spanish and English. So, the second most spoken language here is Spanish. If you were to live somewhere like Japan, it would help to know Japanese, English, French and I think Spanish there, as well. Mainly because the teaching of various languages are more so prominent over there and some people tend to favor one language despite the native tongue being Japanese.

Well, honestly, it all depends where you live. Naturally, English is the most valuable one as nowadays, almost everyone speaks even a little bit of English - that means wherever you go, you will be able to communicate with people to a certain degree, which is good.

If you live in US, Spanish is the logical choice, especially in the South. For Canadians, it's French. For Europe, it's most probably German. For Asia, Chinese. All for these languages can be very valuable if you're in the area where people speak them.

Apart from English, the most valuable language for me is German. My aunt lives in Germany and whenever I visit her, I try to improve my skills. My German is nowhere near perfect, and I am afraid of speaking it, but I can understand almost everything my aunt and her family is saying, even though they talk very fast. So yes, it also depends on where you live and what your interests are - these both can be decisive factors in choosing ''the most valuable'' language, besides English.

I think all languages are valuable depending on the circumstances beforehand.If you're seeking a job in a foreign country,it would be imperative for you to learn that county's language to increase your chances of being hired.

I have to agree with you, DancingLady. If it's in the US, more than likely you're going to want to learn Spanish as your secondary because it's the other language you hear other than English. Of course, it also depends on the location of your job too. If you're trying to get work in a Chinese distract of your town, it's probably best to know English and Chinese.

Besides English, in your opinion, what language is most valuable to learn? What are your reasons for choosing that one?

In my opinion, Spanish is probably the most valuable language to learn because it is so common in the US now.  In fact it is difficult to find a job in some industries if you do not know some Spanish. I even found advertisements for hotel housekeepers, entirely in Spanish!!! Obviously they do not think anyone who is not hispanic would bother applying there.

Hi. I believe it depends on your own personal needs. Like what you said since Spanish is so common in the US then that's the best for you to learn. If it is especially needed to land a job, then that's enough motivation to learn the language.

So I will go for personal reasons in learning a language. I won't cite any particular language as it is entirely up to the learner which one is or will be the most beneficial to him/her in the future. Say, if s/he's migrating to China, then the language or dialect of the place where s/he will live in will be the best option for him/her.

One perfect example is my colleague's son who will study in Germany next school year. Right now, he's taking German language lessons and will take the so-called C2 level test to pass the requirement at the German University he will enroll in.