Linguaholic

Steps on how to teach beginner level

marygly

I have been consistently teaching English as a Second Language(ESL) both man to man and Home-based online  to Koreans for almost 5 years now, Taiwanese and also Kurdish as Home-based Online Tutor or Teacher for 3 years now. It's my passion to teach that's why I would like to share to you the effective strategies of teaching English for beginners. You see teaching beginners need patience and understanding. First thing you need to do is to test his/ her level, ask him or her basic questions and if he/ she couldn't  answer back try asking him/ her to read some simple phrases if he/ she doesn't know how to read that's the time you have to use the English Alphabet flash cards. First you have to read first the letter and let him/ her follow after you. In that way she would be getting the right letter and pronunciation. Next thing that you need to do is to guide him/ her in writing "letter of the day" and to think and even draw anything that starts with that letter so that she could work on her imagination, writing and creativity in that way she's already gaining trust in you and gaining confidence in wanting to learn more in studying English, we should not pressure beginner students, we should give them the impression that studying English is easy and fun. Hope that helps you guys who wants to have a career in teaching English to non native speakers. If you have questions and suggestions please feel free to ask me.

I taught English in China for a year. Some of my students were little kids, around 5 years old. I didn't really prefer teaching that level. It was not difficult, but the students have no interest. So you have to disguise learning in games. It was mostly a bunch of jumping around there. Not the best way to do it. Now if the beginners are adults, that would be much better in my opinion.