Linguaholic

Words that are Older that you think

I saw this link.

http://dictionary.reference.com/slideshows/older-than-you-think

And I was surprised by how the words that I thought were relatively new are actually being used years ago. I thought modern people have invented these words. Apparently, our grandparents or great grandparents may have been using these words when they were little.

That was very interesting. I wasn't aware of any of those in particular, but I did know before that some ¨text speak¨ was in use before modern cell phones. It's amazing how words can remain in a language but totally change meaning over decades and centuries.

Quite an interesting link. The words happen to be ones that I have been familiar with but never thought that they were that old either. I guess credit goes to men of old and not modern folks.

This is so interesting, thanks for sharing. The one I was really surprised by was dude. I honestly never have thought about where that word came from but I guess now I have the answer. Although, I guess the meaning has slightly changed these days from what they were used for back in the day, but it still seems somewhat similar in some ways.

This is so interesting, thanks for sharing. The one I was really surprised by was dude. I honestly never have thought about where that word came from but I guess now I have the answer. Although, I guess the meaning has slightly changed these days from what they were used for back in the day, but it still seems somewhat similar in some ways.

Yes, some of the words did retain their meaning. It is just funny how I thought using words like dude made me feel young and hip because the word sounds very modern. But, it was not at all.

It just shows how language is alive and is forever evolving to cater to our needs.

Hahahaha!  OMG!  I never thought that term was so old and had been used back then. Woah... the more I learn about the english language the more it amazes me. LOL, also amused at the word dude being used back in 1883! Just amazing!  I thought it might have started back in the 80's...

Also amazed at LOL.  The last bit did hit close to home, hehehe, I often use it that way as well. Shame on me, I know!

Well, at least LOL which means "laugh out loud" is still technically a modern word, and only the abbreviation LOL is the one that's old. But the list came as a surprise to me. I never knew that some words are ancient already.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly speaking, I was also surprised that these words have not been invented recently. Anyway it is said that things are done in circles. We keep coming back to the same thing. There was a time people in my region were complaining that skirts won by young women keep getting shorter. An intelligent person pointed out that some years back, most young women wore very short skirts.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised that the words like "lol" and "omg" existed before the age of chatrooms. The others weren't surprising and I didn't know that "little black lady" was a modern slag but rather a slag for ghosts. 

I saw this link.

http://dictionary.reference.com/slideshows/older-than-you-think

And I was surprised by how the words that I thought were relatively new are actually being used years ago. I thought modern people have invented these words. Apparently, our grandparents or great grandparents may have been using these words when they were little.

That indeed is very shocking, I am beyond suprised, I thought a word like OMG was very recent yet it was being used in the seventeenth century.

• 1 year later...

Anyway it is said that things are done in circles. We keep coming back to the same thing. There was a time people in my region were complaining that skirts won by young women keep getting shorter. An intelligent person pointed out that some years back, most young women wore very short skirts.

I couldn't agree more. Wondering when will it be 'compulsory' normal to wear hats as a daily attire again like in the 50s. I just think those fedoras and skullcaps are fashionably cool. B)

• 2 months later...

Awwww,  one of the nicknames I use to refer to my fiance is ''hubby'', and he often calls me ''wifey'' ^_^   Lol, I was surprised to read dude and OMG have been around for so long :o  Mind blown!   Not surprised about LBD though ;)  Women have been wearing  black dresses for a while :P 

• 4 months later...