Linguaholic

Use of 'onwards' in English with age

Mark Skype Teacher

Hi everyone,

With regard to the Scottish referendum a month ago or so, a student in an English class said: 'People from 16 years old onwards will vote yes'.

I'm wondering if we can use onwards when we're describing an age and any age older than that age (in this case '16').

Seems strange to me as a native however I can't find any authoritative comment about the section.

It is a lot more normal, in my opinion, to use phrases like 'you need to continue onwards' or 'from 1945 onwards there was peace in Europe'.

Thanks very much and have a good day.

Mark

I haven't noticed anyone using the word "onwards" in quite some time. It's not a phrase you hear very often in America. I can't even remember the last time I heard someone say it, or that I have said it for that matter. In my understanding, onwards can be used in relation to any age. I don't think there's any specific age to use it after.

Using onward in that sentence is perfectly fine although it does sound odd and hasn't been used quite often. Most persons I know would use the word upward instead.

You don't usually use onwards when you're talking about age. You usually say "16 up" but some do break the rules though in a more classy way. This mostly pertains to direction. I am not sure aging has something to do with directions. Just my thoughts.

It doesn't sound too out of place for me. I think it is acceptable to use in this situation because the alternative of using 'up' is a bit too informal. Onwards connotes moving further towards a positive so it sounds like a good fit to me to use it for using it in a similar manner to upward.

I haven't noticed anyone using the word "onwards" in quite some time. It's not a phrase you hear very often in America. I can't even remember the last time I heard someone say it, or that I have said it for that matter. In my understanding, onwards can be used in relation to any age. I don't think there's any specific age to use it after.

I frequently use it ,especially in a sentence like, " from today onwards" for some reason I tend to use it alot.

That does sound strange but I think that you can use it in that way. The proper or correct way would be to use "people from the age of 16 onwards"

I agree that was bit strange, but Natasha corrected it well, I think this sounds correct now. It can be used with age but only how Natasha put it.

Thanks for the correction Natasha

• 3 weeks later...