Linguaholic

School

DancingLady

My most effective language learning experience was in college, and I'm guessing I'm not alone here.  There are a lot of benefits to being in a class when learning a new language.

Would you ever go back to school to learn a language? Perhaps not to major in it and get a degree, but just to take language courses as a non-admitted student?

Yes, I'm definitely open to going back to school to learn a language. I don't think it's a necessity but I'm sure it couldn't hurt at this point. I learn pretty well on my own. But it's always nice to have the perspective and help of an expert that can point out the nuances of a certain language that more novice people won't notice or know of.

My most effective language learning experience was in college, and I'm guessing I'm not alone here.  There are a lot of benefits to being in a class when learning a new language.

Would you ever go back to school to learn a language? Perhaps not to major in it and get a degree, but just to take language courses as a non-admitted student?

If I had the time and money I would probably go back to school to learn a

new language, it would be fun to go back to class again.

I certainly wouldn't mind going back to school to finish up my learning in Spanish and French but there'd be a couple obstacles. Time and money would really play a big part in making the decision, otherwise i'd go for it.

I don't mind returning to school if I'm to learn a new language.  Though a self-study/review helps, you can only learn so much.  It is way different if you are part of a learning institution, complete with competent faculty and up-to-date teaching materials and resource modules.  Unfortunately, time and money is a luxury I don't have, therefore learning a new language would be difficult given the circumstances. 

I learned most of my other languages when I was very young and I think that was the best age to learn since I didn't have too many distractions or worries. When I was at college I tried learning another new language but at the time I was already too preoccupied with many other things and found myself to be very easily distracted or bored. That's just me though but even then I would still gladly go back to school to learn a new language if I could because I find it's much more fun to learn when you are surrounded by people with the same goal.

Of course. School's a welcome respite anytime of the day. You get mental stimulation there than anywhere else. Also, I think it's exciting to learn a language and focus on it. Learning itself has its own joys. So why not?

It is unfortunate that it is so expensive to take language classes though. I have thought about going back to continue my German studies, but I can't afford it. I also wanted to learn Swedish, but I can't afford to take those classes, and now I don't live in a city where it is taught.

I sure would! I love being a student and learning more, I don't think that will ever change, and I was most successful at learning a language and really integrating it into my daily life when it was presented in a classroom setting with that extra structure and accountability that it offered.

I certainly wouldn't mind going back to school to finish up my learning in Spanish and French but there'd be a couple obstacles. Time and money would really play a big part in making the decision, otherwise i'd go for it.

Yer money and time are  big factors, once you have enough time on your hands and enough money to pay for the class, then there is not much that can actually prevent you from learning a new language if at all you are interested in learning.

I started learning English in primary school when I was ten years old. My parents are both retired teachers; therefore they insisted that we speak in English even when we went home. I have always wanted to learn how to speak French and will be happy to register for classes if I was matched with the right teacher. I have tried learning the language two times previously without much success.

I agree with school. I guess most of us just loved the experience; being in a room with people all working towards the same goal (learning _ language). I also think we all were lucky enough to have good teachers because otherwise learning anything can be dull and dreary.

I would love to learn in a classroom setting, as I feel that what I'm learning will sink in better, as I will be "forced" to converse with other students and also mistakes which shouldn't be made, will rooted out at an early stage by the teacher, I would hope.

Not mention that I think it would be fun, which is important, because if one feels like they are doing advanced Calculus and dreads coming into class, you'll begin to hate the language.

If given the chance, I will grab the opportunity to go back to school and study a language. I've done this before and it was fun. It's good to be in the same room with students who are learning the same language and I can practice it on the spot while talking with them.

The only language I  learned in school was Sanskrit and that too is nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. I ma never going to go back to school to learn any language. The unofficial way f learning a language is the best wa to do it just  like I did with English.

There are short courses for various languages here so,those who just want to learn basics could enroll on those classes. I would not mind taking or attending those short classes especially if just for few hours a day.

Agree that it is more easy to learn a new language even new things when you are in a school setup. There are proper tools and guidance.

Aboslutely yes I would definitely go back to school to learn as many languages as I possibly could because I would love to be able to communicate with people all over the world and what great opportunities for work that would bring.

• 1 month later...

I almost certainly would go to a class to learn a new language. Although I self-taught myself through a bachelor's degree online, I think this would require more hands-on help. I have tried language systems like Rosetta Stone, but it didn't take when I worked on it alone. I just responded to someone who claimed to learn English by watching movies. I don't think a lot of people could go at it alone like that.

Yes, I would love to master the French language. I think that it is time I took the lessons again. I have tried learning it on three other occasions. Every time I hear someone speaking French, I get the urge to get back to the classroom so that I am able to participate in a conversation one day. Learning French is still in my bucket list.

Why not? I would like to go back to a regular classroom set-up just to learn a language because it might motivate me to continue learning whatever it is I am doing. I will be forced to study to sit for exams or to write homework perhaps. I have to prepare for any requirements for the course that will make me learn more.

It would be fun also to learn with others since there is interaction. It can make learning faster too. If I am alone I can just dilly dally because I learn at my own pace. So why rush? I might even stop learning because there is no need to really do it.

One of the main things that I loved about college. I would most definitely go back just to simply learn another language. I'm sorry, but high school isn't as effective at teaching another language to it's students. In all my high school years, I was surrounded by classmates that gave the teach a hard time and made it all the more harder to learn. It wasn't until college that I learned new concepts and was actually able to progress; probably because people were there to learn and it was coming out of pocket for most of us.

I would, of course. Learning a language in school is so much better than doing it on your own, and there's a simple reason for that - you have a fixed schedule, homework and someone to guide you. Besides, sometimes it happens that you're too ''lazy'' to do anything so you skip a lesson (if you're learning on your own). You have to be present in school and there is only a certain number of absences that are accepted, so again, you function better. Just my opinion.