Linguaholic

Most sophisticated language?

gmckee1985

What language do you feel sounds the most sophisticated and classy when people speak it? Personally I think British English is the most appealing to my ears. It certainly sounds more sophisticated than the English spoken in many parts of America. Especially the south, where I'm from. I could listen to the British speak all day.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have to agree on that. Although we speak a much fluent English in my country than the British, i'm always drawn to their accent, it does sound sophisticated. Next in line would be Australia, maybe because both accents are so similar.

I'd go with British or French as well, though, structurally speaking, I'd consider English as a whole to be one of the more sophisticated languages because it spans not only conversation between English speakers but it also has already bled into technological and scientific terms, which is why it is the most adapted language into many other cultures because some of their words have no local substitutes.

I don't know what's the criteria for judging a language sophisticated. However, this is just my opinion and everyone's entitled to theirs, the British language, full of wit and very suave, always oozes sophistication. I like watching British films. It's one of the reason's I love GoT too. Most of the actors are Brits. They speak well.

I do agree with that, British Accents is the most sophisticated among all the English speakers, but I'd say Urdu is one of the most sophisticated language of all, its the language of Royals of the Sub-Continent and though it has a mixture of Arabic, Persian and many other languages, when it comes to speaking and writing of pure Urdu, it is very classy and has a feeling of royalty to it. 

Well I have a British accent and I live in America, having this accent in this country is akin to having a super-power, I've literally just had people stop in their tracks to watch and listen to me talk, it's quite ridiculous.

The only reason British is considered sophisticated and the be all and end all, is because of years of brutal colonialism and domination. England, the UK, Great Britain, whatever you choose to call it, it was the STANDARD for everything, even if this standard was imposed with an iron fist.

Anyway, the sun has truly set on the British Empire, so am surprised that this accent can still wield so much power??!!. This probably has to do with Hollywood  more than anything else, if you want a top notch villain, make sure you cast a Brit, if you want a touch of je ne sais quoi, cast a British person and so on and so on, so the illusion of British sophistication and omniscience is perpetuated 100% by the country who the U.K begat.

Funny isn't it?...but not funny, ha ha. :speechless:

Gee, calm down, spacetime!

Anyway, to me, French, as a language, sounds sophisticated. More specifically, Edith Piaf's French Accent. Stunning.

I'm curious, what is it about my post which makes you think I'm not calm??, lol. I'm just stating fact. That is very presumptuous of you I must say, considering you don't know me from Adam.

I think Japanese flows really well, as it has so many vowel sounds. It flows really well, and when spoken with a soft voice, it sounds very pleasing and sophisticated.

It might just be conditioning from Hollywood movies, but British English also sounds very sophisticated and posh (at least, the posh London accent does).

I disagree that French sounds sophisticated. Some of the more phlegm-y sounds are harsh on the ears, which doesn't sound very sophisticated to me. However, I think Paris seems like a very fancy, sophisticated place. I would love to visit there and check out some of the famous Parisian cafes.

I'm curious, what is it about my post which makes you think I'm not calm??, lol. I'm just stating fact. That is very presumptuous of you I must say, considering you don't know me from Adam.

First of all, you did sound a little upset. And I do know you from Adam. My posts were two separate posts. Anyway, lets let bygones be bygones.

I agree Ariana. Japanese does sound extremely professional. Complicated, too!

Yes, some aspects of french are a little nasal, but a true, elegant french sounds delicious to the ears. English, I don't associate to be very posh, as I live in an area not-too-rife with beautiful speech  :bored: However, I see what you mean. Michael Caine for the win!

First of all, you did sound a little upset. And I do know you from Adam. My posts were two separate posts. Anyway, lets let bygones be bygones.

I agree Ariana. Japanese does sound extremely professional. Complicated, too!

Yes, some aspects of french are a little nasal, but a true, elegant french sounds delicious to the ears. English, I don't associate to be very posh, as I live in an area not-too-rife with beautiful speech  :bored: However, I see what you mean. Michael Caine for the win!

Again, that is a lot of information you THINK you have extrapolated from me based on that post and once again it's presumptuous. If I were not "CALM" or "UPSET" as you think I was, believe me you and everyone else would soon know about it, in fact I couldn't have been in a better mood when I posted.

I am on this forum first and foremost to LEARN from other people, secondly to impart any information I wish to share, I don't just post for the sake of posting.

A more productive and salient response to that post might have been: "So spacetimecontinuum, why do you think that? or please site some references?", etc, etc, not  "calm down"...it's patronizing, rude and shuts down reasonable discourse.

I respond to threads that I'm interested in, full stop, period. I enjoy the dialogue and exchange.

If you personally wish to only read dull, bland, insipid replies, I suggest you start a forum called pleaseboremetodeath.com, where I'm sure all your personal needs will be met. ROTFL.

Again, that is a lot of information you THINK you have extrapolated from me based on that post and once again it's presumptuous. If I were not "CALM" or "UPSET" as you think I was, believe me you and everyone else would soon know about it, in fact I couldn't have been in a better mood when I posted.

I am on this forum first and foremost to LEARN from other people, secondly to impart any information I wish to share, I don't just post for the sake of posting.

A more productive and salient response to that post might have been: "So spacetimecontinuum, why do you think that? or please site some references?", etc, etc, not  "calm down"...it's patronizing, rude and shuts down reasonable discourse.

I respond to threads that I'm interested in, full stop, period. I enjoy the dialogue and exchange.

If you personally wish to only read dull, bland, insipid replies, I suggest you start a forum called pleaseboremetodeath.com, where I'm sure all your personal needs will be met. ROTFL.

OK, I did not mean anything by it, I was simply replying as I am. Lets leave this before it turns into a flame war. Shall we?  :wink:

I would also agree that British English sounds so sophisticated. It reminds me of "James Bond" and his sophisticated linguistics which come ou sounding so educated and proper.

Another language I feel sounds sophisticated is the old Irish accent, the one that "Tom Cruise" used in the movie "Far and Away." It is a rich and classy sounding accent too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't really think there's any way to judge whether a language sounds sophisticated or not. I do think there are different aspects of each language and I think judging one language/dialect as sophisticated and another language/dialect as not-sophisticated has some unfortunate implications (we actually learned quite a bit about this in my Sociolinguistics class).

However, if we're asking "what language sounds pleasant to you" I'd have to go with Arabic and Japanese for me.

I think French is one of the most sophisticated languages out there. It just oozes with class and culture. And also, a French person speaking English, for example, with a French accent is really fascinating to listen to. I never mastered French, as it is just not up my alley, but I still have a lot of respect for it.

Am I the only one on this forum who utterly despises French? For me, it's a very far cry from sophisticated, both in terms of sound and the way it's spoken. It actually feels low class to me, but then again, I am very much English guy (in terms of my love for the language and the culture) so maybe that plays a role too? Since I don't speak that many languages, I'll vote for English as the most attractive language that I know of. You're more than welcome to change my mind. 

On 27.11.2015, 00:34:20, agentzero said:

Am I the only one on this forum who utterly despises French? For me, it's a very far cry from sophisticated, both in terms of sound and the way it's spoken. It actually feels low class to me, but then again, I am very much English guy (in terms of my love for the language and the culture) so maybe that plays a role too? Since I don't speak that many languages, I'll vote for English as the most attractive language that I know of. You're more than welcome to change my mind. 

Well, "despise" seems to be a bit too strong. I'm not sure you'd like it if someone said they "despise" Serbian or English, right? It sounds offensive to my ears. Just as I would mind it every much if someone said they "hate" Russian. You can hate the Russian government, boycott Russian goods and strongly dislike some people - that's all fine with me. But I am against people saying a language or a whole nation is "bleh". That's the kind of generalization that leads nowhere.

On 11/28/2015, 1:29:48, anna3101 said:

Well, "despise" seems to be a bit too strong. I'm not sure you'd like it if someone said they "despise" Serbian or English, right? It sounds offensive to my ears. Just as I would mind it every much if someone said they "hate" Russian. You can hate the Russian government, boycott Russian goods and strongly dislike some people - that's all fine with me. But I am against people saying a language or a whole nation is "bleh". That's the kind of generalization that leads nowhere.

I wouldn't care if someone despises Serbian or English. I'm not saying I despise French people, I just think French language is very far away from being sophisticated. To my ears.