Linguaholic

Why do you want to learn this language?

Trellum

Hi guys!  This question is obviously ONLY for those trying to learn this language.  I know Finnish isn't the hardest language to learn, but the fact isn't a widely used language outside of Finland has always been a deterrent for me.  So why do you want to learn it?  Is it because you are going to move there? Study? Work?

When I was younger and very naive I tried to learn it. I then lost interest once I moved abroad and had no time for that, after all I realized I wouldn't be using that language at all!  I'd not start studying it again, unless i was sure I'd be moving there.

• 1 year later...

I'm only thinking of possibly learning it, but my reasons are: I'm being driven by greed (you can earn x4 there, than you can earn here in Estonia doing the same work pretty much) and curiosity (I'm semi-fluent in Estonian, actually getting better and better in it and I always get really curious about how similar or unlike to each other those languages are.)

I learned Finnish awhile ago when I was younger. I was attempting to apply to a school there that didn't offer any English courses so I would be stuck learning the language whether I liked it or not. What amused me in the end is that despite me getting the language down pat I ended up not being able to go due to some pretty big difficulties obtaining a visa. One of these days I am going to totally visit the place, though.

My goal this year is learn a new language I am not particular if it is Finnish or what. I just want to learn new things or do new stuff. If it is indeed an easy language to learn then I will consider learning this language. Right now I am having some challenges learning French and Spanish so I might settle for something easier.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be this misconception that Finnish is an easy language to learn. I'm sorry to say this to you people but its not. I've yet to meet a foreigner who speaks Finnish fluently and without an accent. Don't get me wrong, you totally can learn Finnish but don't expect to learn to speak it like a native or even fluently. Like all languages, in Finnish you have to practice your pronounciation in-order to sound like a Finnish person. This will take years of practice for some people and other people will never learn to pronounce Finnish words without an accent. Anyway, my post was not meant to discourage anyone willing to learn Finnish. Just keep in mind that it might be a bit harder than what you first expected (with all the ä's & ö's). ;)

• 2 months later...

I could be self-righteous and say I'm learning it for heritage reasons, but truth be told I'm learning it because I'm a nerd and Finnish is basically the real-world equivalent of Tolkien's Elvish.  Laugh all you want, I think Finnish is a very beautiful language, and the fact that it inspired one of my favorite authors (and linguist) so much is enough for me to want to learn it.

Also, if I ever decide to ditch the US, I'd probably relocate to either Finland or Iceland, even though I speak Japanese much better than either of those two languages!