Linguaholic

Study App needed! [SPANISH]

seoclone

Hello guys,

I am looking to learn some Spanish but am looking for some sort of study app which will assist me in doing so. If there is anyone who would be kind enough to share an app they have used or seen previously, it would be much appreciated because as an online freelance writer, I receive a lot of requests to write articles in Spanish. I do know the basics, but I'd like to learn a lot moe of the language but I need an app which can assist me!

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

First, it would be good to know a little bit more about the level of your Spanish.

You would probably need several apps since most of them teach only vocabulary or only grammar etc.

A good one for grammar is called "Spanish Touch Trainer". It helps you with sentence structure, conjugation, and other grammar stuff.

Another one for building vocabulary is called "Gengo Quiz", it takes you from beginner´s level to Upper Intermediate.

But don't forget! Nothing substitutes a good teacher. :)

• 2 weeks later...

While not a Spanish learning app per se, I highly recommend the Wordreference app.  It's basically just a Spanish dictionary and Spanish-English/English-Spanish dictionary.  But it's among my favorite because it's very detailed and full of examples.  It doesn't just give one-word translations as many dictionaries do; this is very important because all too often you need more information than that to translate properly.  (For example, if your dictionary said that you would translate "to know" as "conocer" or "saber", how would that help you?  Not much, you need context.  Wordreference has a very full page about the contexts in which you would use each of those, along with what prepositions you need to construct different phrasal verbs.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Babbel is an app that you can use on your Android device. You can use this app to learn advanced and beginners vocabulary. There's also integrated speech recognition for pronunciation exercises. You can also do beginner and refresher courses grammar and verb training. There are also phrasebooks and tongue twisters that you can use to help you with your pronunciation.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion hands down the best application for learning a variety of languages including Spanish is the application called "Duolingo". Just absolutely amazing app, and the best thing about it is that it gamifies your learning experience and really makes you want play and learn more and more.

Sure! I was just telling another member of this forum to try Babbel. Babbel is an app for iOS (I am not sure if it's available for Android), but it's awesome! I have learned a lot from it. It will start you off in a Beginner course where you'll study/learn and then it will proceed to test you along the way. Try it! Good luck.

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...

Duolingo is great no matter if you have Android or iPhone.

If you have an iPhone, I have a couple more recommendations. There's "Learn Spanish with Lingo Arcade" and that's pretty good. It's free to try, then you can buy more levels. Up to 27 levels are $0.99, and the rest of the 170+ levels are $4.99. Or you can buy all the levels at once for $4.99. The main issue with the app, however, is that some of the verbs are conjugated a bit oddly, at least at the beginning. For example, it might tell you that "correr" is "running" instead of "to run". But if you can get past that, then it's a fantastic way to build up speed with Spanish recognition.

Then there's Mind Snacks presents Spanish. This is a set of cutesy games that are surprisingly difficult to master, and not (in my opinion) boring. You start off with only one game unlocked and have to build up to being "allowed" to play the others. This one is also free to try and comes with one free lesson. If you want all 50 lessons, it's $5. Or you can get ALL the lessons for Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, & Mandarin for $20. I plan on buying the $20 option when I have some spare money to throw at it, I think the app is that useful.

Hi!

If you like educational games you could try Lingo Games:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobile.bizo.fiszki.es

There are lots of words, and a few difficulty levels.

That's a new one for me, but it looks interesting. Hopefully, it'll stay interesting once I actually play it. I really hate when these things look interesting, but end up being boring to play.  :smile:

I would recommend Babbel, memrise and duolingo for Android. These three cover your vocabulary and should help you learn quickly. The Duolingo app is a little slow though, so you might prefer the website there.

• 2 weeks later...

My boyfriend is using Duolingo and it seems to be working pretty well for him so far.

The only (small) caveat is that it looks like it uses Latin American Spanish pronunciation and words rather than Castillian Spanish. Not a huge drawback, but something to keep in mind since you will run into the occasional difference (vegetales vs. verduras, lisping the 'soft c' sounds)

The iPhone app, Wordpower Spanish, is my favorite app in aiding the learning of Spanish. This App includes multiple levels for each stage of your learning. It will show you a picture, read the word out loud, give a definition, and have you repeat the word back. This is an easy way to learn on the go at your break at work, or during your commute. This App only teaches you words and not complete phrases, so it does have to be partnered with another learning method. However, the best part is that the App is free!

Duolingo is a great app! I have tried a lot of apps and one of the few that really helped me learn and be successful in learning some more spanish besides tutoring classes. I hope you take my advice and try this app out for yourself! good luck!

• 3 months later...

I would recommend Babbel, memrise and duolingo for Android. These three cover your vocabulary and should help you learn quickly. The Duolingo app is a little slow though, so you might prefer the website there.

Thanks for suggesting Memrise. I had heard the name before, but though that it was one of those IQ/Memorize anything apps and wasn't aware that it could be effectively used for language learning (Spanish in my case).

Boy, how wrong was I! I've just installed it and, in addition to working and looking great, has several resources for studying Spanish.

Thanks again for the suggestion (which I second) Linguetronix.

Hey,

Just wanted to present something I've created: Lexly.

It's a chat app for practice and learning that provides context. So it's like HelloTalk but with topics and content from these topics that you can put inline into the chat. The concept focusing on using a language with other people, and more so making it fun to do so, which I think is the best way to learn.

Spanish is one of the first three languages (English & French being the other two)/

There are some screenshots at: http://imgur.com/a/uTCte

The website is www.lexly.me

It's something I've worked on for a bit and would welcome any feedback on the idea!

I use Duolingo as my study app, it has more than one language you can learn on there. The feature I like is that you may use a mic to see if you can actually pronounce some words, rather than just spelling them.

Home site: https://www.duolingo.com/

They also have an app you can use.