Linguaholic

My French Coach [FRENCH]

Ariel

Has anyone tried My French Coach for the DS/Wii/PSP/iOS?

I played it for half a year when I was learning French in high school and it really helped improve my vocabulary. It gauges your proficiency and gives you more difficult words the better you get. I also liked how they would re-use words that you used incorrectly in the past to help you learn better.

There are about a dozen mini games you can unlock, so there's a lot of variety. And apparently the dictionary has about 10,000 words.

I used to play the Chinese version : "My Chinese Coach". It's a pretty funny game and sort of "gamifies" learning. I guess the games are the more or less the same for all the different languages. It was good fun for a while, but I remember that at the time when I played this game it was still pretty expensive. I had it on my Nintendo DS back in the days  :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Honestly, I've tried My French Coach for the DS, and it's a really great supplement. If you're a self-learner, MFC might not help you that much since it is really only aimed towards learning vocabulary.

However, if you are taking a French course in high school or at a university, definitely pick it up if you've got a few spare bucks and a DS.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not heard of this app. I see that another member says they have it for a different language. SOunds like a good companion app, for the enhancement of learning the language.

I am not sure how I feel about learning French on a cell phone.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested. I'm not in a position where I can easily take French courses, so for the time being, I'm doing self-study until the conditions for courses or face-to-face practice manifest.

I'm also using Duolingo for iOS, and that's also been helpful to date. Plus, it's free!