Linguaholic

Influent, a new language learning game.

PixelBaebee

Has anyone heard of it? It's a fairly new(came out in 2012 iirc) game that started out on Kickstarter.

You play as a guy who develops this device that translates real-world objects when you scan them with your camera. Your idea/invention is quickly accepted, but it's been stolen! So you have to develop a new one to show off.

I've only played a couple minutes of it myself, but the reviews were as expected and I think it's a very good game to expand your vocabulary. At the moment, it's only got several languages, but I'm sure they'll include more as time goes on.

I like how this game gives you a plot to follow while teaching you things. This doesn't happen often, and the ones that have plots are generally boring or heavily forced.

This one has a good plot to follow.

The only thing is that this isn't meant for people who want to learn sentence structure or grammar, it only teaches you words. As I said, it's a game to help you expand your vocabulary, it works well when it goes hand in hand with something like Duolingo. I'd definitely recommend Influent to all you language learners if you want to get ahead of your class or something.

The game is available in this week's Humble Bundle for $6 and you also get other games along with it.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it would work out in theory. The first is that people who are traveling will need wifi or need to hook up to the web to get this to work. Most people turn off their data when in other countries.

This game does sound like something interesting that would really increase anyones vocabulary. You can never know enough words so anything to expand on your vocabulary is great.

I've never heard of this game, it sounds interesting anything which expands and helps you to retain vocabulary can't be a bad thing.

I think it's useful to have as many tools as possible to aid you in learning a language, audio, video, aural, oral, whatever it takes to help it sink in.

Sounds like quite an interesting game, I will definitely be trying it and then leave my review here as well. I am always interested in new language learning tools and to have it in the form of a game, it is definitely a plus.

I don't wanna be negative or anything, but I don't believe in any method and promotes the idea of the possibility of learning a language without any effort. I don't think there's such thing. You'll have to put your mind to work and actually make effort in order to learn something. I'd rather use a book or a course than this, but it's just my opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never heard of that game but it sounds like an awesome idea....how fun! I'm always looking for learning games and toys for my son, but ones that could help older ages with things, including language learning in a different way, are always great too!

• 2 weeks later...

At only $6 (possibly a bit more now) it sounds like a pretty fair deal for a game that is meant to help you with words or vocabulary only. If mixed with something else that teaches sentence structure or other grammar related language learning processes, then it's a pretty good deal.

I first heard about Influent a week ago while talking to some online friends. It's seems cool and I'll definitely give it a try once it gets a public release. I'm very picky when it comes to backing things in Kickstarter so I'm gonna wait.

Never heard of that game but it sounds interesting! I might give it a try when there's finished product available to the general mass.

I like that it's an interactive game because a traditional type of education makes me lose interest fast. And the addition of the game + the visual aspect, I think, will make me learn faster because I read somewhere that retention is greater when there's a combination of senses being used. This might be a useful way to take advantage of that.

I hope I can use a trial so I can decide if it works for me or not, though. I've had bad experiences before where I bought something but it's not fitted to my style of learning.

Thanks for bringing this up! :D

• 11 months later...

I wonder if anyone actually tried this game? It is now available in many language packs and looks interesting but I'd love to know what other people think about it.

This game sounds really cool. I love gaming and if I could combine that with language learning, it would be a really nice bonus. I will definitely check that game out and see what it is all about. :D