12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel is the best English Proficiency Test

• TOEIC
    • TOEFL
    • IELTS
    • VERSANT
    • iTEP

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Pardon if someone already anawered by question but how does rosetta stone work exactly? How does it differ from other language apps like duolingo and pimsleur?

To say it in a nutshell: the price.
Really, language apps simply don't work well unless they're made by actual native speakers, preferably those with a language teaching background.
And besides, not even one application I've seen uses the most important thing in language learning: speaking with a real person.

Not saying you shouldn't use language apps at all.
You actually should use them together with other materials, tools and methods, just don't use those exclusively.

Blaveloper is right, @Enrico.  Apps are not intended to be used as the sole learning tool when learning a new language.  They can be great unless you are rushed by time (as me) and you need to learn specific or reach certain level. Those apps come with limitations, specially the free ones.   It's better to always use a ''main'' course and then us other tools for support. Right now I am using Memrise and my Dutch course, but I'd never dream or using only Memrise to learn dutch.  Free is nice, but can't offer too much if you plan on mastering the language in less than 2 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day, it boils down to your learning style. I tried out Rosetta Stone once and... well, it didn't really work too well for me. It's an innovative concept, but I'm the kind of person who needs to know the rules when learning a language. Because of that, Rosetta Stone's learning style just didn't work for me. I've had more success with cheap/free language learning apps than I had with the limited amount I spent with Rosetta Stone. It just didn't feel worth it to me.

I've also tried a lot of at home learning and found it very hard.  I need to be able to ask questions to someone and have them correct my pronunciation when I'm saying something wrong.  I think the self taught language programs are good to get a grasp on the language but they are very difficult to become fluent off of.

To say it in a nutshell: the price.
Really, language apps simply don't work well unless they're made by actual native speakers, preferably those with a language teaching background.
And besides, not even one application I've seen uses the most important thing in language learning: speaking with a real person.

Not saying you shouldn't use language apps at all.
You actually should use them together with other materials, tools and methods, just don't use those exclusively.

Thanks! I agree the greatest thing you can do to level up on your language learning is to speak with a native speaker! I know a lot of people who have stayed in and out of Japan for a few months for work and vacation but without any formal education on the language and their nihonggo are way better than those who have taken formal language courses

I have personally tried Rosetta Stone, but I have never purchase it myself. I think that this has to do with the majority of the reviews I've heard being negative. I have heard from so many serious language learners that it is way overpriced for what the software offers. Like some of you have said, it does not seem to work on its own as a language learning app. You need to combine it with some other form of learning, such as a personal tutor, or previous experience with the language. I feel that this should not be the case if you invested your time and money into a software program like this one, but sadly it seems to be the truth in most cases.

I regularly use an app that many of you have mentioned to practice Spanish: Duolingo. It also does not work the best on its own, but it's free, and it does not hand out lavish promises like Rosetta Stone does. Duolingo is an app that requires you to also use another form of learning with it to understand the language because most of the learning done in-app is out of context. Still, I find this a better alternative to Rosetta Stone by far. Does anyone know of any other free software programs that would help, at least at the beginner level, at learning a language like Spanish?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are unable to take a class or get a tutor I think Rosetta stone is the best teaching tool out there.  However, I am a firm believer in having a teacher to help with pronunciation.  I haven't used Rosetta store but have heard so many great things about it from my friends who have used it.  It is written by native speakers and from what I have heard it really focuses on learning how to speak the language more so then write or read it.

I think softwares are good alternates if you don't have time, or enough money to take an actual class ,but I think language learning is way better when done with actual people around you. Talking and listening with a tutor is way better, but I heard rosetta stone is supposed to be really good. 

• 1 month later...

I've tried Rosetta Stone at a friends house on a couple of occasions and it was pretty good. I could follow along with it rather easily. I'm not sure if it is worth the money as I don't have it and use it for myself, and I also don't know much about other language learning apps as I usually just use free webpages and audio that I find online.

Rosetta Stone is a little bit pricey, but I have heard really good things from the people who have used it so I would have to say that if you are dedicated to learning the language than it is probably a good resource to look into.  You should do your research first, of course, to see if it offers everything that you are looking for, but from all accounts that I have heard it is the ultimate package.  Each person learns differently, though, so it really depends on your style of learning.

• 1 month later...

I'm grateful that there is so much discussion about Rosetta Stone. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing the program, and now, I think I'll go another route. It seems that I will get as much or as little from Rosetta Stone, or any other program, as I put into it/them. I'll try the library to see how I fare with the language series they offer, and go from there.

• 1 month later...

I used Rosetta Stone for Spanish in high school and passed with flying colors. However, I'm in college and Spanish is my minor and Rosetta Stone is okay but not worth the money to me. I recently found out military can get it for free so maybe I will love it more once I no longer have to pay for it.

How many languages to RS have? Does anyone know if they have the Cherokee language? I am Cherokee native, and everyone who knows the language in my family has passed away, and it was not passed on to my mothers generation, so I have decided to try and learn my families language via other methods. 

On 12/8/2015 at 7:02 PM, KimmyMarkks said:

If you are unable to take a class or get a tutor I think Rosetta stone is the best teaching tool out there.  However, I am a firm believer in having a teacher to help with pronunciation.  I haven't used Rosetta store but have heard so many great things about it from my friends who have used it.  It is written by native speakers and from what I have heard it really focuses on learning how to speak the language more so then write or read it.

It's great if you have the money to buy it ;)  But if you ask me... there are better option out there, they might take a bit more effort, but in the end the results will be as good as they would be with any Rosetta Stone software. Specially if you consider how pricey this software is D:  But I guess buying such a pricey software can be a great motivation to actually use it ;)