Linguaholic

Subbed Anime To Learn Japanese

Might be just me, but watching anime with subtitles helps a lot at improving my vocabulary. At first, it didn't necessarily help. It was also pretty tough to read the subs while also concentrating on the series. But as time went on, I started catching words that got repeated often, and the subtitles were always a great help.

I love the anime Naruto and One Piece and I should say that it has helped me a lot in me trying to learn the native tongue of the Japanese people. Watching anime is one of the closest ways to speaking with Japanese people as this is how they try to speak it over there although what we may here may sometimes be slang and disrespectful, but it really come close to the real deal Japanese. Thank God for Anime which can not only entertain but also teach us as well and aid us in learning how they talk.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Anime is a great way to learn some Japanese words over time. However, you have to be very careful. While you might have the English subtitles, the translation might not be 100% accurate. It really depends on the person or group who does the translation but it can vary in quality. This could also interfere with trying to learn the language properly such as hearing multiple ways to say the same word. If you're watching it on top of trying to learn Japanese, it can be a good addition and help with the process but don't trust anime to always give you the correct meaning.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2014, 2:14:53, athena02 said:

Might be just me, but watching anime with subtitles helps a lot at improving my vocabulary. At first, it didn't necessarily help. It was also pretty tough to read the subs while also concentrating on the series. But as time went on, I started catching words that got repeated often, and the subtitles were always a great help.

Subs definitely help me understand Japanese better. I would take it one step further and just listen to the raws every once and a while, no subs or dubs at all. You should choose an anime that you pretty much know by heart so you already know what they're going to say. Then listen to them and try to piece together what word means what. It's a fun exercise that you might like! Subs also stay truer to the source material because a lot of times in dubs the voice actors they cast don't match how the character is supposed to sound. Then instead of learning new words I'm going to be focusing on how terrible Usui sounds in English. I try not to go to the anime where people have thick accents to learn either, Yowamushi Pedal and Barakamon have great plots but those accents are another thing. To be fair one of them is from Kansai so that might have something to do with it. 

• 1 month later...

The best way to learn Japanese through anime, if you're motivated enough, is to use an SRS system.  I recommend Anki, as you can use it with Subs2SRS.  What you do, is get download anime with soft-subbed English subtites as well as soft-subbed Japanese captions.  Kitsunekko is a good site to get them, as it has sections dedicated both to English subs and Japanese closed captions.

You can use a software called Aegis to adjust the timing of the subtitles if they seem off, but you want the English and Japanese synced up as closely as possible.

Using Subs2SRS, you import all of this into the Anki flashcard program and you have yourself a flashcard deck of anime!  You can even choose to play the audio clips of what's being said, too.  Of course, you to make sure your subs are timed really well to the audio so you don't cut it off.

Just add whatever vocabulary or grammar notes to the cards that you want and get studying.  It's fun and easy, though a bit time-consuming.

• 1 month later...

It does help me! Especially in learning vocabulary. I'm fully aware of how informal the way anime characters speak, so that's not a major problem for me. I tend to rewatch my favourite episodes a lot, and usually I turn off the subs when I rewatch. Sometimes I can even memorize the whole sentence of my favourite lines too. It is also useful since it helps me learn through context. Plus it's fun anyway! Learning in a fun way makes it easier in my opinion. Especially to get motivated. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a lot of Japanese words by watching subbed anime but very few sentences. It seems every time I watch anime I come across new sentences that I've never heard before. Still, I can partly understand them by being aware of what is going on in the story. However, for me, this is a less than ideal way to learn Japanese. There has to be a better method out there.

• 4 weeks later...

A great way to expand vocabulary. But is in most cases suitable for high intermediate to advance, since to that level you probably will be able to follow japanese subtitles with audio without "much" struggle. Since  japanese people speak very fast, at first, is going to be hard to follow even with japanese subtitles, at least you are an ace in reading a 漢字 音読み and 訓読み.

• 4 months later...
On 30.10.2014 at 8:14 AM, athena02 said:

Might be just me, but watching subbed anime helps a lot at improving my vocabulary. At first, it didn't necessarily help. It was also pretty tough to read the subs while also concentrating on the series. But as time went on, I started catching words that got repeated often, and the subtitles were always a great help.

Yes, I totally agree!^^ I also catch a lot of words and phrases when watching anime subbed and the subtitels are also a big help.