Linguaholic

Is there anyone interested in learning Latin?

Guest wellpostlooper

Guest wellpostlooper

I would want to learn Latin. Latin has given us French, Spanish etc and it seems as though it will become a dead language soon. Are there people still interested in learning Latin or should we start closing the curtains on one of the greatest languages of the ancient world?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I used to try learning some of the Latin words through the Bible. But I find it hard to learn by my own and I do not have plans of enrolling to learn the Language. I still think that Latin is an interesting language to learn although I also do not think that it will be useful for me.

Latin has also given us Romanian, which is actually my native language. Not only that, Romanian is the the closest language to Latin today. Not to say it is somehow "easier" so to speak for Romanian speakers to learn it, it just resembles Latin the most, more than any other of Latin origin language.

I was going to try and learn Latin back in Uni, because I was planning on going to medicine. One of my professors said it would help in understanding the rationale behind the terms used in sciences, as they are based in Latin. Unfortunately my college stopped offering Latin classes since they usually get very few students. So I put off learning Latin, and studied French and Italian instead.

I would still try, if I can find a teacher. :)

I think Latin is interesting and I am sure doctors and lawyers still learn it. My brother is learning Latin and it sounds complicated but I would love to learn as not many people can speak it and I feel it is sad as it is one of the oldest languages in History.

I also think Latin is an interesting language and there are times that I still here it especially when hearing masses. However I wouldn't try learning it because I don't know where to use it anymore. I would stick with studying languages that I can use for my own benefit (travel, business etc.)

Guest wellpostlooper

At least people have the desire to learn Latin. I thought I was alone. And I did not know it closely resembles Romanian. That is interesting. I hope we can find a way to make it useful again. I know a few couples who have learnt Latin so that they can communicate in their own little world when amongst other people.

I wouldn't mind learning Latin.  I would like to learn every language that I can, Latin being only one of them.  That being said, I have at least one Latin learning language book in my home library.  I haven't looked at it in awhile, I might dust it off and go through it. I had kind of forgotten that I even have a Latin language book.

I have been giving it some thought because I'm very interested in word origins and seeing as Latin is a basis of a lot of our modern words I to it would be fun to learn the source. However, I had to make it lower in my list of priorities because there are just a few other languages that I love a lot more and I know will be a lot more useful to me in the short term.

It is good to learn languages that will be of use to you somewhere along the line. I would love to learn Latin purely because it is an old language but who would we communicate with? It is of no use to anyone but doctors and lawyers and to learn a language that you can speak to anyone with would be fantastic for travel and work purposes.

I don't really have any interest in learning Latin. I don't see what use it would be to me in my day to day life. I would rather stick to learning languages that interest me as well as those that will be of use to me every day. So I'll have to pass on learning Latin, for now.

Upon further consideration ,not sure outside of the Vatican what use speaking Latin would be, but in terms of knowing it so that I can read it, this would certainly be valuable.

I agree, this is exactly my opinion. Simply knowing Latin is enough to get an eyebrow raised.

Ego conveniunt. Haec est mea sententia. Plane scire Latine satis impetro an supercilium resurrexit.

(Translation: What I just said) (Used Google Translate)

I agree, this is exactly my opinion. Simply knowing Latin is enough to get an eyebrow raised.

Ego conveniunt. Haec est mea sententia. Plane scire Latine satis impetro an supercilium resurrexit.

(Translation: What I just said) (Used Google Translate)

Yes, Scio posse dicitur quasi arcana verba reserare. :wink:

Yes, Scio posse dicitur quasi arcana verba reserare. :wink:

I kind of get a kick out of finding the origins behind a word. Thats why I am learning Sanskrit before Hindi. For example, Namaste is a compound of "nama" and "ste", meaning, "I salute you". In modern Hindi, it simply means "Hello".

I rest my case.

How hard is it to pick up Latin? Seems like it might a bit easier than some languages become it is so derivative. Is this true? Or am I wrong on this? Have you actually been able to use the language, or is it just a thing you find intellectually stimulating?

I personally studied Latin in high school for all four years. While the road to becoming an effective translator was painful and long, I do not regret taking Latin. It has shaped my perspective on how the world was before, and how there are still some remnants of Roman culture prevalent today. In my graduating class, we had dozens of inside jokes that confused the students taking Spanish and French (we were a small group of only about 25 students in the same class and level, other languages had 40-60 students), which I remember with fondness. Latin lives, so always aim for the solar plexus and semper ubi sub ubi!

I kind of get a kick out of finding the origins behind a word. Thats why I am learning Sanskrit before Hindi. For example, Namaste is a compound of "nama" and "ste", meaning, "I salute you". In modern Hindi, it simply means "Hello".

I rest my case.

That's interesting, I did not know that about Namaste. Yes, so like you learn Sanskrit, knowing Latin is like having a key to unlock the "mysteries" of other words, which is always going to be useful.

I don't really think we should 'close' or turn our backs on languages- they grow and evolve and all the steps of that are interesting. I have always been drawn to Latin and hope to learn it fluently some day. I actually took a year of it in high school but it ended up being more of a history lesson kind of class with just a few vocabulary words and phrases thrown in. Very disappointing :(.

Latin is indeed an interesting language, but I have no interest in learning it in general. I'm sure there are lots of people all over the world who are interested in learning Latin anyway, so it's not an entirely dead language, it will still survive in this modern era. However, I would just like to know what certain Latin phrases mean, since it's sometimes used in horror movies when the character is chanting spells or driving away evil spirits.

That's interesting, I did not know that about Namaste. Yes, so like you learn Sanskrit, knowing Latin is like having a key to unlock the "mysteries" of other words, which is always going to be useful.

Exactly my point! it is curious when you find a hidden meaning in a language. For example, I will be studying Icelandic AND Old Norse, so I can trace the origins of various words.

That kind of gives me a buzz. Knowing that I'm saluting someone everytime I say "hello" feels nice. Like the mandarin "nee hau" means "you good". While that isn't really word origin, I love to find hidden meanings.

So, yes, definitly learning Latin. Then Greek...

I am interested in learning Latin as it is one of the most ancient language. It is good to learn various language that you can use over time however I think there are few people who understands it and many people are becoming less and less interested in the language. I guess those people who are history buffs might be interested but to me, I don’t find it useful because I don’t know anyone who speaks Latin and I don’t think I can use it in the future as well.

Curiously enough, I haven't seen this thread before. I am studying Latin at the university (it's my major) and I can tell you that grammar isn't really a problem. You can easily learn it. The problem is in complicated texts. Most of the Latin authors used ellipsis extensively, and at times, it's not obvious, which makes it difficult for translation, for example. What I find the most challenging is vocabulary. That had never been my ''thing''. I just don't like new words and so I always offer mental protest before learning them, which makes that painstaking process all the more difficult, and forgetting them as much easier. If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I was at Latin section some days ago, but I don't think there's enough to satisfy the curiosity of many who are interested in learning the language.

I am focused on too many languages right now to give any attention to any other language. I am learning French right now, so I would like to stick to it for the time being. Italian and Chinese is also on my list.