Linguaholic

New free listening practice site with 11 languages

tommg

I created a website where you can improve your listening skills with over 17000 native recordings in 11 languages collected from Tatoeba.org.

Here's the address of the site and a screenshot of me using the Portuguese version. I hope it helps you guys. :-)

http://www.listeningpractice.org

screenshot_opt.png

Awesome site!  I just checked it out really fast, it looks really good!  You site really seems to have a lot potential. Thank you so much for investing all that time and effort on this, I have already bookmarked your web site... I'll be using it a lot in the future for sure!  Might use it for english as well!

I just checked the site. It does have a potential. I just tried the Chinese version. I understand that it's meant to improve one's listening skill, but if it's possible to include the romanized? text, that would be a helpful tool that a user can use, too (especially, if they wish to mirror what they heard, and for some reason can't make out the words clearly yet)

Wow! Awesome site and what a brilliant idea! I hope that you add more languages in the future. I'm currently studying Japanese and this kind of site will totally help me in enhancing my Nihongo skills.  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing! For me, my biggest issue when speaking Spanish to others is not being able to understand what they are saying! This website definitely has a lot of potential. I'd recommend that, at least, for the Spanish section, that you have a small toolbar to add accents to words that need them. I could imagine that for many other languages, like Swedish, some of them would need a toolbar like that, too. Otherwise, I hope that this website becomes more popular in the near future.

Wow, I just checked it out briefly so far but it looks amazing- what a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for putting your time and efforts into making something like this, it's great to have online resources becoming more and more available :).

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked the site. It does have a potential. I just tried the Chinese version. I understand that it's meant to improve one's listening skill, but if it's possible to include the romanized? text, that would be a helpful tool that a user can use, too (especially, if they wish to mirror what they heard, and for some reason can't make out the words clearly yet)

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, I have been busy. Do you mean like the text below the Chinese characters on here: http://tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show_all_in/cmn/none/none/indifferent ?

I have to admit I don't know much about how people usually learn Chinese, it seems intimidating to me. :-) So I appreciate any advice on how to improve the Chinese portion of the site.

Wow! Awesome site and what a brilliant idea! I hope that you add more languages in the future. I'm currently studying Japanese and this kind of site will totally help me in enhancing my Nihongo skills.  :grin:

Thank you. I am currently relying on the database of Tatoeba.org, so I can't add new languages until some volunteer native speakers actually record sentences there. I'm looking into other possibilities as well, so I might be able to add more languages without them too.

This is amazing! For me, my biggest issue when speaking Spanish to others is not being able to understand what they are saying! This website definitely has a lot of potential. I'd recommend that, at least, for the Spanish section, that you have a small toolbar to add accents to words that need them. I could imagine that for many other languages, like Swedish, some of them would need a toolbar like that, too. Otherwise, I hope that this website becomes more popular in the near future.

Thank you. I added toolbar for special characters for several languages some time ago, is this what you were looking for?

Also, there is a new feature (testing) where you just have to choose the right words from a list.

So cool! Thank you for your contribution :) Do you use native speakers for the audio? I could recruit some speakers if you're looking to expand :)

Hello,

Thanks! Yes, they are native speakers and the best part is, they are all volunteers submitting their recordings on Tatoeba.org. It would be great if you could get some people to contribute to languages with fewer audios on that site (actually anything except English has 'fewer audios' since even Spanish with the 2nd most recordings only has about 3000, so it could use some more variety).

Thanks for this site and also the fact that it is free. I am using my phone now but not sure if it will be compatible, don't want to use my data but will be trying it as soon as I am home. Will be using it pretty often once it is useful.

This is perfect!

Thank you so much for creating this and sharing this with us. I haven't tried it yet but I'm at the point where I'm trying to familiarize myself with listening to natives speak in their natural speed and I realize that it's so much harder than the tutorials I heard where the sound examples are purposely slowed down so that each word and syllable are perfectly stated.

Seeing this site right now was perfect timing. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I created a website where you can improve your listening skills with over 17000 native recordings in 11 languages collected from Tatoeba.org.

Here's the address of the site and a screenshot of me using the Portuguese version. I hope it helps you guys. :-)

http://www.listeningpractice.org

screenshot_opt.png

Nice I'll check this out!

I too checked it out and I believe that it can be very helpful. Good job! I like the idea of test and practice and rating. This could prove very valuable. And eleven languages! Now that's a big step. I wonder how long it took you to complete it.

Awesome! I will have a look at the site to see for myself how it can help me. Thanks a lot for coming up with this helpful site. Your efforts and time are highly appreciated tomm. Good luck and may you come up with more valuable concepts to make is more useful. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

While it is a great site, I have checked the Japanese section and there isn't anything on Nihongo yet.  Although I must say that this site will supplement my grammar and enhance my listening skills. Currently I'm learning Nihongo the traditional way, and I'm hoping that this site will have online modules on grammar soon.

Wow, it's always great to see people work so hard for something they are passionate about. I've been going through all the comments and well done you have a lot of the posters ranting and raving about your site. Sounds like a user friendly site as well as very helpful!

I will definitely bookmark it for future use and also spread the word! Great initiative.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a really cool website!!!

I'm currently learning french and have been for while. I'm also now trying to learn Spanish and your website will be helpful with that!

I'm interested in apps and websites that aid language learning and I've been think of a website concept relating to this and have created a survey to find out what like minded people think. If you have a couple of minutes to fill it out I would be very interested and grateful to hear what you think.

Thank you very much :)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JQDJTJD