Linguaholic

Why do you want to learn another language?

A0130

I love communication the way that you pass a message and give information to people. Language being the only medium that this can happen, therefore I had to learn other languages. This is because it would not only give me  acesss to a larger audience .

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Right now I'm trying to learn dutch because I might be moving to the Netherlands next year.  I must admit dutch isn't my favorite language to learn, mostly because the pronunciation is a real nightmare... writing it isn't any easier either.  I don't like how many consonants are grouped together in a single word either. So I'm basically learning this language because I really have to  :tongue:

I love to learn anything but with learning a language it opens you up a lot more to other people and cultures.  It is also good in business to allow you to service a larger customer base with ease, but I think I would enjoy it without any financial incentive.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to learn English because it's one of the most used  languages (written and spoken) in the world. I've been studying it since I was born (almost ;)) and I don't regret about it. Moreover, I've had some certificates in  this language.

I use it in my day-to-day life since I'm used to read News from American and British newspapers and I like to watch films on its original language... However, I don't believe it's a must learning language. I could live perfectly knowing only Spanish but I've always liked to study new languages.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think other languages are gorgeous and I find it really attractive when someone can speak in other languages, so I think that's one of my main reasons for wanting to learn more languages. I also want to do lots of traveling so that's an obvious reason.

I want to learn other languages because I love travelling. Living in South Florida Spanish is almost a necessity in order to do business. I speak a little Spanish and am constantly trying to improve. I have many German and French Canadian friends and it would also be nice to be able to converse with them in their native language.

Being able to speak with others in their language breaks down barriers and brings people closer. Understanding various cultures unites people. My dream is to one day speak, English, Spanish, French, German and Chinese well enough to live in any of those countries with no language problems. Wishful thinking, but a definite goal.

I would want to learn another language because though challenging :sweating: it can also be fun :grin:. It could be too that you encounter a situation in which if you had just known the language things would have turned out differently for you or you could be of help to someone else.

What inspired you?

Yes I want to learn another language and that language is French. I can speak a little Spanish but definitely I love French. My reason for learning another language is I am in the field of communication where I deal with people of all kind of creed and origin. Sometimes when they talk I can't communicate with them as fluently as I want to and this causes me to feel out of place.         

I live in a region of the US where Spanish is the primary language in certain cities. In DC, there are several neighborhoods of people who only speak Spanish! When I'm out and about whether it's grocery shopping or going to work, there is never a time when I DON'T hear the language. I hate it when I can't understand. A lot of non-hispanic people speak it so I needed to finally challenge myself.

I'm taking Japanese at my university because I have several cousins who are half-Japanese that live in Tokyo. I have never been able to communicate with an entire portion of my family. I think it would be a worthwhile time investment to learn a new language, albeit a tough one, so I can talk with them.

I'm also trying to learn Japanese because I wished to take a more difficult option for my mandatory language requirement for my major. I think something more unique, like Japanese, would stand out on my transcript.

• 1 month later...

It was really out of necessity for me. I learned French when we were in France and I had to learn English because most of our subjects were taught in English. Currently I'm learning a different dialect because I moved to a different region so every language was really out of necessity. I would've loved to learn a language just for fun but I never found the time.  :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I want to learn Spanish and Japanese.

I mainly want to learn Japanese because I find their culture beautiful. I also like a lot of songs that are sang in Japanese and I love singing along to them but I would love to know what they mean.

I want to learn (rather, I NEED to learn) Spanish, because my boyfriend is Mexican and his family only speaks Spanish. I would like to be able to communicate fluently with them, as it seems every time we try talking one of us ends up confused. :P

I believe that a language is the product of a people's history, culture and psychological make-up. So to understand a people, I need to first learn their language, not just to communicate with them but more to get inside their heads, so to say, and be able to understand how they think and how they view the world around them.

What inspired you?

Learning a new language might not be all that easy, but there are many benefits in it. You will have a lot more culture, this will permit you to travel more and you will know the world better. People would like me because of my knowledge and they will learn from me. I will meet thousands of people thanks to my extra language. I was inspired by the fact that meeting different persons and knowing a whole lot of cultures. Knowing a new language will make my life completely different.

I see the planet as our collective home and I'd like to be able to speak with as many people as possible. If I only speak one language, I'm limited to only a certain amount of people. I've studied Chinese and am working on Spanish. Once I've mastered both I'll be able to talk to about half of the world's population which is very intriguing to me.

• 1 month later...

Well, since elementary school English (as my second language) was my favorite subject, I did really well in school, teacher told my parents how I'm a bright kid with potential so they put me in additional German class in fourth grade. In high school I had both English and German + new language, Latin. In high school I decided to learn Spanish because I always wanted to and I already knew a lot. I'm now thinking about learning Russian. I was always good in languages rather than in anything else. I think knowing more languages opens up more possibilities for work and other things. It's also because I like traveling and it's always good to at least know few words in native language of the country you're visiting.

For the current language I am learning (Visayan) I want to learn it for practical reasons. That's because I am currently in a region that speaks the dialect. I could speak Tagalog and English and I know I'll still be understood but it's nice to blend in you know? So that's my motivation.

I really wanted to learn Spanish ever since I was a child because I have Spanish blood. It was my dream to learn the language and visit the country. I finally achieved that dream in 2011 and I was lucky enough to visit other countries, Portugal and Italy, as well. I found it interesting that I sort of understood their language because it was close to Spanish. That experience made me want to learn more languages. Travelling truly made me realize the advantage of knowing more than just your first tongue.

It's like, being able to communicate with another person using another language is an honor - because it means my learning the language was actually worth the while. It's like, I haven't wasted this skill I've simply learned just because of grades or out of compulsion, but I'm actually using this to be a part of someone else's life.

For me, this is my biggest reason of wanting to learn other languages.