Linguaholic

Language learning apps or real life teacher?

thewakeupcall

So, would you use a language learning app or a real life teacher if you wanted to learn a language, what are the benefits. Personally, I think a real life teacher because they get to explain stuff to you, unlike where in a language learning app (in some, like duolingo) you just kind of go through with the words and don't learn (as in remember) what the words are. It feels like a vocabulary test you did if you were in Elementary School, they had you remember a list of words, and then right after you'd forget them, because it was only for that test. Opinions?

I think if you're going to learn a language from scratch, it's best if you get a real life teacher. He/she can help you better with the basics of the language, can answer all the usual questions you will have, being new and all. After you're, let's say, intermediate, you could use the language learning apps to keep your language fresh, and as means to do some self assesment as well.

I agree that a real live teacher or even a teacher over the internet have definite advantages.  You can quickly get corrections for the subtle differences in pronunciation for example.  A real live teacher can also adjust and adapt for areas that you learn quickly or that are more difficult.  I think that apps can be very useful for practicing or expanding vocabulary or even for making it fun in different ways, but a real person is best.

I think having a teacher around physically who would walk you through and speak to you for practice is still a much better option and it should be more preferable if it's available. Although, I don't think new apps are that much far behind especially if you consider you could also tap in to the wealth of knowledge available elsewhere that you could utilize as a supplement. It's probably just a matter of which one works best for certain personalities.

I prefer a real, live person as a teacher for language. Sure, these language learning apps can help you a lot, but as a student, there will always be a time that you'll have to ask questions. And I guess not all of those apps can answer you back.

If you're asking which one I'd choose right now, I'd pick an app or study on my own. There's no doubt in my mind that having someone teach you is the better option. However, I don't want to enroll in a class or hire someone to teach me simply because of my work schedule.

I agree that a real person as a teacher or using an app or computer program depend on the person.  Your schedule or your personality has big impact on choosing one or the other.  I think that even if you have a live teacher then an app or computer program can be very helpful in reinforcing what is being learned.

Both can be effective. It really just comes down to what your learning style is. Personally, and this is just me, I would prefer to have a real live teacher helping me along. Though apps can definitely help, nothing beats that face to face interaction and feedback that you can get from a teacher.

Of course I think that a human teacher is by far the better choice when it comes to learning a new language. Nothing beats interacting with a fellow human that has a brain and can correct your mistakes if your serious about learning a new language. But if you're just a casual and curious language learner like me, then just studying using an app, book or researching about it on the net would suffice.

Learning a language through apps vs. having a human teacher has its own advantages and disadvantages. I agree with one of the comments that both are effective methods of acquiring a language. At first glance, it's easier to say that the human factor is definitely the more effective one. But as one of the comments mentioned, you will be amazed with how technology can help. I can say this as much as I work for a company that helps develop language learning programs.

Both are good learning language tools in my opinion. The basics can be learned using language learning applications but if you want deeper knowledge, I think hiring a knowledgeable language tutor is best. Both language learning apps and teacher have advantages and disadvantages. Language learning apps are cheaper, portable, handy, and definitely informative however if you have any queries, the app may not have all the answers you seek. The teacher on the other hand, can guide you specially if you are just learning the language.

One thing I like about having an actual teacher is that they can put pressure on me. I learn better when I feel like I'm under pressure. It helps me to stay focused and motivated. Learning on your own can be nice, but I really think you need a kick in the pants every now and then by a professional who is more experienced than you.

So, would you use a language learning app or a real life teacher if you wanted to learn a language, what are the benefits. Personally, I think a real life teacher because they get to explain stuff to you, unlike where in a language learning app (in some, like duolingo) you just kind of go through with the words and don't learn (as in remember) what the words are. It feels like a vocabulary test you did if you were in Elementary School, they had you remember a list of words, and then right after you'd forget them, because it was only for that test. Opinions?

You are right a real life teacher is much better, since you get to learn the exact way to pronounce words and you can always ask as many questions as you want.

I would say that a real life teacher is best, if only because you can ask questions. I'm okay studying on my own until there's something I want to ask about, but when I search the internet and can't find any answers, it makes me wish I had an actual teacher. Finding the resources you need without a teacher can be quite troublesome as well, though I think the prospects of self-study are much better now that we have the internet.

However, if money is no obstacle, I think anyone serious about learning a language should move to somewhere where that language is spoken. I really don't think there's a more efficient way to do it!

I will use language learning apps since these are easy to acquire and there are options. but if ask if between the two, which one is more effective for me, I would say the real life teacher. The proper pronunciation can be more emphasized.

I'd also go for a language learning app for now because it's easier to get and also cheaper in the long run. Plus a learning app is convenient because I can practice at any time. Although if you're very serious about a new language, say because of a job I'd rather you go for a real life teacher as you'll most likely learn faster.

Both have their pros and cons.  I like apps because they are available whenever you want to study, and you can go back and review what you have just learned, and the app won't get tired or complain about the fact that you are not absorbing and retaining the language properly. 

An actual teacher can be helpful if they are a good at what they do.  I've had Spanish teachers that were excellent, and I've had Spanish teachers who did not know how to teach at all.  A teacher is there if you want some feedback and have a question that you need answered right then, whereas an app might not be able to help you with certain questions.

There are positives and negatives that come with both, and I've had the experience of both as well. I'm studying Korean and there are plenty of apps out there that help with that which I have used, but I'm also currently taking a Korean course at university.

Having a teacher really helps because they are there when you need to ask questions about something and can answer you in real-time, whereas apps do not have that option, unless it's an app that's associated with having a language partner. Even then, it's sometimes hard - language barriers can be a huge burden, unfortunately.

I've also had experience with a website that teaches the language, with actual teachers who are both fluent in English and Korean. I think the website helped me the most in my language learning because I can work at my own pace, I understand everything that's being said in English, and the teachers are fun, exciting and entertaining.

I do have to do vocabulary tests in university and, now that I think about, I cannot remember any words that I learnt - or, had to memorise - in Semester 1. I think Memrise is good for that.

Overall, I think I learn better on the internet or self-studying a textbook than with a real-time teacher, and I've found there are plenty websites where you can ask questions about the language and get quite fast replies, so I have no complaints.

A real life teacher is good, and a native speaker teacher is the best. You can ask them questions that an app simply cannot answer. They can also correct your accent and pronunciation, while most apps will only give you help on vocabulary and grammar. 

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer a real life teacher as well because I have to be very attentive during a lesson. I can also ask the teacher questions that will help me learn the language much faster. Besides, there is a personal touch that only a real teacher can provide.

For me, I also go for a real-life teacher because I can always ask what I want. If there are things that seem confusing to me, s/he can explain it so there is an interaction. The interaction is already learning in itself. You will see the facial expressions, body gestures, hear the proper accent and feelings that go with the spoken words. I think all these help a lot too in language learning and comprehension.

I have not really used a language learning app, but I am guessing it is going to be programmed of course. So there is no flexibility. I cannot ask if I need to and I cannot clear out any confusions.

For me it will always be a real life teacher. Language learning apps have their place, but they can't replace a native speaker whom I can ask all kinds of questions when they arise, and who will be able to teach me correct pronunciation as we go along with our classes.

A real life teacher will always be helpful because he will help you go through the language.  In case you have questions or queries about speaking the language, you will be able to talk to the instructor.  He can also give some friendly advice as well as personal experience, something which cannot be filled by online language learning apps.  These language apps are useful, but they will not serve as a replacement for your friendly neighborhood instructor.

I find that apps help me more than traditional classroom settings. I do not focus in classrooms, but if I use an app it is on my own initiative and therefore I tend to focus more. I also like apps that track my progress.