Linguaholic

The Beki Talk

g2narat

Some call it Bekimon, but I think that makes it easy to confuse with Jejemon. Anyway, how do you feel about the "Beki" way of talking? I guess people like Vice Ganda and Filipinos on YouTube have made it popular. I think it's a fun twist on our language actually. I don't think it should be taught, but I don't find it irritating either. What do you think?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have a few gay close friends and hearing them talk to each other using their "beki" language is just amazing.  It's like their conversing in a foreign language even though theirs was just invented mostly for fun.  But even though I find it amusing, I still don't want any of my children talk like that. A few "beki" expressions is just fine though.  :grin:

Sometimes, this irritates me. Other times, it doesn't. I'm not really sure why. I have gay friends and I find it amusing when they use their beki terms. There are just times when I feel like it goes over the top. You know, those times when a beki would use these terms just because they're beki, seemingly without caring if the person they're speaking with understands him or not. I don't know if this makes sense but I hope you guys know what I'm trying to say. And of course, no offense meant to all bekis out there. :)

Lol! I don't find it irritating either. It's amusing for me actually. It is gay talk in the Philippines, right?

I just find them so creative to come up with those words and they are even evolving! Like the beki word 'chaka' has now evolved to 'chuckie', 'chapter' which means ugly. Lol! But some words are really just coined from the same sounding word such as 'bigalou' for big. Or some words are made out of common sense like 'oblation' which they refer to as naked or 'walang saplot'. This idea obviously came from the U.P. oblation. Lol!

Lol! I don't find it irritating either. It's amusing for me actually. It is gay talk in the Philippines, right?

I just find them so creative to come up with those words and they are even evolving! Like the beki word 'chaka' has now evolved to 'chuckie', 'chapter' which means ugly. Lol! But some words are really just coined from the same sounding word such as 'bigalou' for big. Or some words are made out of common sense like 'oblation' which they refer to as naked or 'walang saplot'. This idea obviously came from the U.P. oblation. Lol!

Haha, I know what you mean! It's interesting to see how its evolving, just like a formal language would. The terms become more intricate, wittier. I especially enjoy hearing those words changed to make them sound like names of local celebrities. Like a jilted lover would be called "Bitter Ocampo" or someone who's had a really rough and tiring day "Haggardo Versoza".