Linguaholic

Have you tried memorise for learning languages?

NATASHA

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm assuming that you mean the app/website Memrise, right? I do use it for learning languages occasionally and I find that it's extremely useful - if you continuously use it. If you just use it for an hour and then leave it alone, you probably won't remember the words or phrases you learned when you return to the website. I think I need to keep using it more as it's a really good site to memorise vocabulary and it has helped me learn a lot of new words that I wouldn't have known before. The fact that it has pre-made courses makes it a lot easier to learn stuff as well.

This happens to be my first time hearing of Memorize. I'll surely check it out since I don't mind trying new things, especially when it comes to learning something.

Like anything, the more you use it the better you become at it. I think it's a very useful app, but you need to stay dedicated to learning on a daily basis. It's not something you can just kind of half heartedly use. So if you stick with it, I think Memrise can be a very useful tool in coming closer to mastering your new language in as quick a time as possible. As with anything, hard work is the key.

This is actually the first I've heard of that app, so I haven't tried it yet but I'm always interested in online resources for language learning. I'll definitely check it out and get some initial impressions & such.

What did you think of it, JessiFox? What language are you in the process of learning? I'm always curious as to whether or not apps like this are really helpful to people. So please do let me know if it was able to assist you in any way.

Memrise has been extremely helpful in learning French vocabulary. I use it in conjunction with lingvist.io which is a bit more advanced, but it's new and currently I think you can only learn French and German with it. Memrise was better for the very first hours of learning (lingvist seemed too difficult), now memrise seems too slow.

Oh my, just joined up today... spectacular! Absolutely spectacular!

I have already started a basic Russian course, and am advancing fast.

Strongly recommended!

P.S. My username is NumberThirteen, if you would like to compete with me on some Russian courses...

Memrise is one of my favourite resources and I use it on a daily basis. I've learned so much vocabulary and the fact that there are courses specifically for Spanish conjugation has helped me out a great deal! I use it both for Spanish and for refreshing my Dutch through a comprehensive Dutch course.

My username there is Leese if anyone is interested in becoming Mempals :)

Yes I did. I was better at memorizing but I find this to be true to me when I was younger. Now, it is much easier for me if the language makes perfect sense. Like I can connect the word to its meaning. Or I can perhaps memorize it if I could connect it to something I know or I'm familiar with.

I just tried Memrise through Facebook, and it's quite a good learning program.  I wanted to study Japanese, so I gave it a try.  I've already finished one lesson as well, and the interface is easy.  I'm really looking forward to learning more as I use the program.

Wow! I will look that up when I find the time. I told my Spanish colleague today that I wanted to learn her language. She was very willing to teach me that she taught me more than five words already today and to think we were busy. Unfortunately, I forgot what she taught. :-(

Maybe I can surprise her a bit if look up memorise on the internet and learn a bit faster. I just hope I can carry on with the enthusiasm level I have now.

I think the major benefit of learning a language is being to communicate, ie. speak with a native person. Reading and writing are good to have as well, but speaking in another language, I see as the main goal in learning language. That being said, I don't think memorizing will help the speaking part at all. I am still trying to find the holy grail to 'memorizing' the Chinese intonations for the thousands of characters out there - and a lot of the pinyins are the same!!