Linguaholic

What's your favorite word in English?

js85

Chowder is one of my most favorite English words because it just sounds so whimsical and appetizing. I don't even like the actual food itself because I intensely dislike seafood, but whenever I hear this word it makes me salivate a bit. Also, I find it amusing how it can be used to call someone a funny name like chowderhead and it doesn't sound too insulting but it's silly enough to be humorous while being critical.

My most favorite English word would be "Integrity", I don't think it is commonly used for I don't read it much online or in books and I don't think it is commonly practiced either. I learned it in the company I used to work at. Integrity is defined as "doing the right thing even no one around is looking because you know it is the right thing to do."

Mine is FAITH. In a world where chaos and uncertainty seem to take center stage, I love what its meaning represent. It's just a one syllable word and yet its meaning is very profound. I know a lot of people have lost their FAITH in the world, but I'd like to think that if we hold on to it, the world is still a nice place.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the word "serendipity". The word rolls off your tongue nicely. It means to find something valuable or rewarding without looking for it. An example might be a person who is nice to people simply for the act of being kind might be rewarded by the people he was nice to saving his life. He didn't be nice to get a reward, but he was rewarded anyway.

It seems that you all have your favorite words. Am I the only one who doesn't discriminate against the words? They all deserve to be treated equally after all. There are too many 'Ineffable' words to mention here.

Absquatulate is a fun word meaning running away abruptly, usually taking something along with them.  A good example is when robbers ran away with the money they stole, why say all those lines when you can shorten it to one word and instead say “The robbers absquatulated with the money”. I think it is not a common word though.

My favorite English word is onomatopoeia. Call me odd, but I like that this word has so many syllables and I like its definition. An onomatopoeia is a word that phonetically imitates the sound it is describing. For example, boom, honk, meow, beep, and pow.

My favorite word is "sweet"! It is a short word, very simple and self-explanatory, but holds a lot of meaning and can be applied to countless different situations.

Good choice and I absolutely agree. I think that would be one of the more overlooked words whenever someone is asked of their favorite word but you are right, it encompasses a lot of meanings and emotions in a very poetic way and its simplicity only adds more to the charm.

If I have to choose one favorite word in English, it was be "Gargantuan." I have to thank that one character in Kill Bill because of that. "Gargantuan. It's a funny word." Mind you, she's saying this after criming an unforgiveable act to Bill's brother. Perhaps, the context of the scene made me love the word more, I don't know.

My favorite word in English is okay. I use it so often that most people notice. I will never forget an incidence where I was having my hair done. The lady who was braiding my hair had a small child. Out of the blues the child started saying Okay. I had not noticed how much I had used the word until the child started imitating me.

I have many favorite words , but I am a simple soul and tend to love words that hold a meaning to me and the things I care about in life. Like beer, coffee, snow, wiskey, clouds and cabbage , and all of them and we and nature itself relies on water.

Water is one of my favorite words in a couple of languages, but it really holds so much meaning in the English language. I have a thing it seems for words with double consonants and the letters w and c , when it comes to English.

Hmm, I actually had to think a little about this one. Personally, I really like the word 'camaraderie'. The word not only sounds quite nice, but the meaning is also quite nice: "mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together". It reminds me of times that I gradually became friends with people up to the point that we trusted each other with anything and everything, and that feeling of friendship is such a lovely one.