Linguaholic

What's your favorite non-English word?

js85

I have a word I like in every language I know at least somewhat decently. I couldn't rate one higher above the other so I'll just list them:

English:

Cadaverous- Meaning deadly, dead-looking, or in some cases murderous. It very seldom can also be described as meaning knife-like.

French:

La seine- Meaning the moon.

Japanese:

Ohayou gozaimasu! -Meaning good morning.

Spanish:

jugo de naranja - Meaning orange juice.

My favorite non English word is schadenfreude, which means to take pleasure in another person's misfortune or distress. I only learned of it fairly recently, like a few years ago, and the first time I heard it and its definition I was immediately amused since as far as I know there is no English equivalent for it even though I know it's a trait that exists in many people.

My favorite non English word is schadenfreude, which means to take pleasure in another person's misfortune or distress. I only learned of it fairly recently, like a few years ago, and the first time I heard it and its definition I was immediately amused since as far as I know there is no English equivalent for it even though I know it's a trait that exists in many people.

I think the English equivalent is probably sadism; which is also a trait many people have as well.

Despite it's meaning, schadenfreude is a beautiful word. Unfortunately, I got to learn about it from singing puppet monsters.That wasn't exactly the best way to find out about it but I'm sure someone out there is exhibiting schadenfreude at my misfortune. Heh, sorry, I couldn't resist the word play.

In german I like "fräulein". I like how it's pronounced, and I like it better than miss, mademoiselle or señorita.

In french, more than a word, I like the expression "s'il vous plait". First, because it took me a while learning how to pronounce it, and also because, while it's used as "please", its literal meaning is "if it pleases you". It reminds me of Game Of Thrones.

While spanish is my native tongue, my favorite word is "diecisiete", the number "seventeen". There are many reasons for this, some are more personal. What I can tell you is that, when I'm exaggerating, I always use this number. For example "I told you to wash the dishes about seventeen thousand times!" :P

I do have a favorite "phrase". :D

I really like this two words phrase because of its meaning and because it is in a song of one of my favorite animated movie. It is "Hakuna Matata" it is a Swahili phrase which means no worries or no problem/trouble.

Ah is that what language it is! I've been puzzling over that since I most recently watched that film again :D

I am now satisfied. Put it this way; if I can use Hakuna Matata in actual phrase, then I'm going to learn Swahili.

P.S. Doesn't Lion King remind you of Hamlet?

My favorite foreign language word would be "C'est la vie", which means "That's life". It's quite common to use and very applicable and usable to casual conversations. The late 90's girl group B*Witched even released a song with the same title. That's how I discovered that word.

My favorite non English word at the moment is fromage. This means cheese in french. i feel that this word just flows naturally off my tongue and has something to it that really feels good and makes you wanna say the words over and over. I pretty much use it as a word to fill the blanks whenever i run out of things to say.

My favorite language is Japanese, and I love the language in general and every single word and specially the way it pronounced. but if I had to chose a word, I will chose the word that I first learned and started using it most of the time.

Wakkarimashta: which means, I understand..

My favorite foreign language word would be "C'est la vie", which means "That's life".

I've heard this phrase a many time down here in the south. It's one thing to hear this constantly. They also like to shout 'sacrebleu' at the top of their lungs when their very mad sometimes. I'm not sure if their copying the guy from the Disney movie since kids are usually around or they truly are angry enough to be yelling in French.

I love the portuguese word "saudade" which refers to a feeling of nostalgia or melancholy but does not have a real direct translation in English. In Romanian however there is an equivalent word which is "dor" which refers to feelings of longing for a dear person or place which you've once known but they are no longer with you.

My favorite non-English word is the Italian word for hello and goodbye, Ciao. Hence, my user name. It sounds so inviting when people use it. I love that Italians say it twice ("Ciao ciao"). Its so cute.

I've always found the Spanish term "Muñeca" to be so sweet. Translated literally from English, it means "doll" or "wrist", but is most commonly used a term of endearment like "darling" or sweetie". I remember my favorite Spanish teacher used to call us that. I miss her.

I guess i'd have to say 'comprende' which means do you understand in Spanish, is my favorite non-English word. I normally use it even with people that have no idea what I am asking.

I love the word Komorebi: "This is the word the Japanese have for when sunlight filters through the trees - the interplay between the light and the leaves."

I like saying a lot of non-English words like Hola!, Insha'Allah, rapido, Bonjour!. There are still other words but I do not know how to spell them correctly here. I just know how to say them.

Whenever I read or hear about Spanish profanity, they make me feel amused in one way or another.  I have played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as well as San Andreas and heard many of these profane words, such as p*nd*jo, m*r*c*n, c*br*n, c*j*n*s, etc.

I am glad you made this thread, because I recently came across a Czech word that I just adore. The word is prozvonit. It means a person who calls someone on a cell phone, allowing it to ring one time, and then hangs up and waits for the receiver to call back. They save themselves money this way. I suppose you could also say this means "cheapskate" if talking about a person placing calls.

Tokidoki. Mainly becuase it's too close to okie-dokie. If I remember correctly, it means sometimes. It's been some years since I was studying Japanese, so I've lost some of my touch to it.  :sad: But aside from that, it's a fun and cute sounding word. Go ahead. Go and say it without at LEAST cracking a smile.

My favorite non-English word would be “Zindagi or Jindagi” meaning lively in Hindi-Urdu. It can also mean I’m alive. For me, there’s a deep meaning behind the word life in general. Not everyone get the chance to live life and it’s also different when you’re alive but not living and simply just breathing or alive but dead inside.