Linguaholic

What's the reason you study foreign language?

elenamarie

I started learning in school and it's something I've always excelled at. Never was great with math/science , but I'm a language arts geek to the core. So it made learning other languages that much easier to me. Conversely, learning a foreign language has also made me stronger in my native language (English)

I love travelling. At the moment I have only journeyed inside U.S. borders. Someday I wish travel overseas. But even if that never happens, there are many residents that speak Spanish. Spanish is a sister language to English, and are close in some respects. I want to start with the easiest and see how I do.

Originally, I wanted to learn French because I was in love with art since high school. France seemed like a big art mecca of history and delicious cuisines to be had. I thought myself sophisticated and an individual compared to my peers, so I thought it would be perfect for me. Then, I got into anime and found out about Japanese culture, the foods, their unique styles and the like and that was the end of me. I got sucked into wanting to know more and took Japanese classes in my college. 

• 2 months later...

I love all things Italian, including the language, so that's why I wanted to learn Italian. French, for some reason I grew up fascinated by this language! I'd see books in French and wish I could speak the language. I vowed to learn to speak it as soon as I could afford it, and eventually got to do it at uni.

I study foreign language because I think that the sounds of different languages are beautiful.  Add to that being able to communicate with different people, and that is what has made me "into" languages for many years. 

I'm not yet fluent in anything though, which is a shame, because I really should be.  Just recently I have been taking learning languages far more seriously.  In my personal 'home library' I guess you'd call it, I have many language-learning books and tools that can help me, so I look forward to the journey.

I first and foremost enjoy languages and love learning new ones every chance I get. With most of the languages I've learned so far, it really has been because I want to be able to communicate with natives in that particular country as travelling is also one of the things I like doing.

• 2 months later...

I am studying Korean and Japanese because I watch a lot of dramas and listen to a lot of music in those two languages. I think it will enhance my experience to at least know some Korean and Japanese since I am fairly deeply involved with those languages.  I also find them to be very musical and pleasant to the ear, unlike English for me.

• 6 months later...

I agree, I also like to learn new languages because I have an interest in travelling to these countries (France, Italy, Spain etc).  However, also in the business world it sets you apart to be able to speak a different language.  Especially for companies doing business in these places.  I think for business the most important languages to learn are Cantonese and Spanish (this is obviously depending on the country the company does business in).

At the moment I'm studying English because I want to become a writer and it seems like you need a pretty good grammar for that. I also studied French and Spanish in the past, French because it was mandatory in school to pick a second language, and Spanish because I was on the verge of getting a scholarship in Spain. Didn't pan out, but I still got some language skills out of it.

My main reason is to widen my horizons. You never know when your language skills are going to help you in different situations. And you also never know when you are going to visit a country which speaks a language that you know or when you will meet people speaking a language you know. The more languages you know, the better, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I studied English first, it was my second language. In secondary school, then in high school then with a private teacher, cause I needed it to my university application. Also altogether it is the norm to speak a second language (english, german or french commonly) in Europe. So it came kind of naturally.

I also studied German for 4 years in high school, but I never went further than beginner level. I do understand most but speaking is not my skill. I need to have a second C2 to my masters degree next year, and it should be German logically because I kind of know the fundamentals of the language.

I also attended Russian language classes for a few months after high school graduation, with not much success.

This year I moved to Romania and started to learn Romanian, because well, I kind of need it for everyday life but I am still at beginner level at understanding and I can't speak more than a few sentences.