Linguaholic

Unconsciously Mimicing Foreign Accents

calebmelvern

When talking to a foreigner, say an Australian, do you notice that you mimic the Australian accent without you knowing it? I've caught myself doing this myself several times and I find it quite funny. I have also noticed that this is being done in TV shows. For example, when a foreigner is being interviewed, say a Japanese, the dubbed translation is of someone who speaks in English with that distinct Japanese accent. A little odd but it makes the translation more real, I guess you could say.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yes. Though I don't have any foreign friend I can talk to, I watch a lot of foreign movies mostly American, British and Australian so my english is a mix of those three languages all together plus my native tongue. I don't do it on purpose, infact I can't copy how others speak but I figured maybe it's because of watching those movies that I unconscioulsy mimic how to say the way they say the words.

This happens for me sometimes too but honestly I see it coming just enough to be able to prevent it somewhat. I try and control it because I don't want to seem like I am trying to copy their accent on purpose and risk being misunderstood, although I'm sure that it is subtle enough that they don't even notice or at least they probably wouldn't mind.

Yes, I do find myself mimicing the accent of the language I am speaking or attempting to speak. I think it's a normal reaction. I think it's something we do unconsciously to relate better to the people we are communicating with. I'm sure foreigners attempt to do it when they come to America. You want to do everything you can do to fit in. I think that's why all human beings do it.

I do notice that I change a bit even when I don't intentionally do it. I work in a British company so I tend to get the accent, but I try not to because I feel a bit awkward about the whole thing. So when I become aware I repeat what I said or ask in a way that's normal for me. Not that I have anything against the accent, it just doesn't sound natural  to me to speak like them.

I have a friend who was born in the Philippines so she had that kind of American Filipino accent. I spent a while talking to her only a few years ago, and I actually ended up picking up her accent. I eventually kicked that habit, but one week in the school holidays, I spent the whole time watching a series, rather than talking to anyone in real life. A guy in the series I was watching had learned English himself so he had a mix of a lot of accents, but somehow I ended up picking up his accent as well. I seem to speak in whatever accent the person I'm with has; it's really strange.

I've noticed this too! One of my teachers is from Britain, from Oxford to be exact, and whenever I'm talking to her, my accent changes. Same thing happened when I was with several American students last summer, showing them around the city. I mentioned it to them as well and then we'd played a little game. I was to mimic British accent for as long as I could and they were going to do everything to distract me and make me switch. I'd managed for about an hour or so, but I had to think about my vowels constantly!

For some reason, I don't do this with foreign accents, but it's a strange habit I do with people who have strong regional AMERICAN accents/dialects. I'd say I have "no" accent, but for example, when I converse with someone who has a strong southern accent, I noticed myself speaking with that "drawl". It's totally unintentional and subtle, but I notice it. It's annoying lol

Its funny because I am terrible at mimicking accents. My English accent is absolutely terrible. However, I work retail, and whenever I am talking with somebody from abroad, I can't help but start to take up their accent. I literally struggled to speak with an English woman last week because I was trying so hard not to speak in an English accent. It makes me think that if I moved there I'd take up the accent pretty quickly, but I'll never pick it up by watching too much English drama haha.

I still consider English a foreign accent compared to my mother tongue Visayan, and my friends have told me before that I always spoke with a light Visayan accent before tapering into a more English lilt as the conversation continued. Weird, huh?

I went to England for two and a half weeks, and I came back to the U.S. with a very slight English accent. I didn't notice it until my grandmother, who went with me to England, pointed it out. I was beginning to pronounce some words differently, apparently. As soon as I came back to the U.S., the accent went away, of course, but it's funny how it happened so subtly.

It happens so quickly. Sometimes I catch myself trying to explain to my Spanish students a certain English word or phrase with a Spanish intonation. But usually I catch myself in the act and correct it.

Also, when I lived in Australia, I unconsciously adopted the accent without ever being aware of it. One of my friends pointed it out to me one day.

Yes, I have caught myself mimicing foreign accents. This did happen to me when I was around some friends from St. Vincent. It took me weeks before I was able to clear it from my head.

Whenever I visit my mother and surrounded by English people, I tend to speak in their accent. (though there were times I did it just for fun  :cool: ) Then when I return to work, my colleagues would comment on my accent and would automatically return to the norm.

I do this. But when I learn a language I like to sound like a native. And I just wish I had a British or Australian accent. I wonder if there's a science behind teaching yourself to speak in a different accent because it is possible. But what part of the brain is involved in doing that?

Yes. This has happened to me on a number of occasions. I am not sure why it happens, but sometimes, I do not even realize that I am doing it. Others that I am around who speak the other language either do not realize it either or ultimately, it does not bother them. No one ever says anything and our conversations flow like normal. I really wonder why it is that this happens because I certainly do not want to try and imitate someone else.