Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.

--Audrey Hepburn 

I have always loved Shakespeare except when I was taking it back in college! I have learned to love him after all those forced paper works I was assigned that time. And my all time favorite quote from him has to be, "If music be the food of love, play on." :-)

I'm a quotes person and I really love finding out about new quotes. If I had to pick some of favorites they would be..

"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players"- William Shakespeare (from As You Like It)

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.. and curiosity leads us down new paths."

- Walt Disney

That's a great quote! I haven't heard it before. Here's one by J. R. R. Tolkien: "Not all who wander are lost."

I think it's quite deep, if you think about it, and very interesting. It could also be seen as somewhat inspiring.

My favorite English quote is the quote about God and how he gives his strongest challenges to his toughest soldiers. I absouletely love this quote, because it is so true. I have faced so much adversity over my lifetime, but each time I get knocked down I get right back up, stronger than before.

"If one has an imaginary friend, it's called insanity. If multiple people have the same imaginary friend it's called religion." - The Internet

"..If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway...." - Kent M. Keith

Definitely two of the most inspirational quotes I've seen. Both made me think a lot about the world in general and the situation I'm in right now. They motivate me to improve myself, I hope they have the same effect on you as well. :)

Here's one quote that I really love:

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

My favorite quote is "Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present." - Jim Rohn 

I think in so many instances throughout our life we think to ourselves "I'll be happy when I get the girl, the job, the money" etc. What's important is to realize that we can be happy right now, and that's what we should strive for, instead of always looking to something that doesn't exist yet to make us happy.

Well heres one about speaking another language so it's quite apt for this forum I feel:

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart."

Nelson Mandela

As I read this thread, I enjoyed many of the quotes, but this one truly went to my heart.  Thank you for picking the right place to share this.

I would like to share some of my favourite English quotes with you here. Mostly inspirational quotes…it’s incredible how much motivation a quote can give you…don’t you think so? Just a few words…but sometimes really powerful! I am not going to mention the author of the specific quotes…there is no special reason for that. Feel free to post your favorite quotes AND the author if you feel like :=)

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”

“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

“I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking”

“It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life,it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power!”

“What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.”

„Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.“

“Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done”

“You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.”

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”

I am looking forward to see YOUR favorite quotations! Happy Posting  :o

I like these quotes. Here's another one: "The moment you stop striving to get better is the moment you  get worst". Aint it true?

I have a series of Albert Einstein's quotes that i would like to share with you this time:

A person starts to live when he can live outside himself.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically.

God is subtle but he is not malicious.

Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds.

I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice.

I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.

I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it.

Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.

Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.

Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility.

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.

The only real valuable thing is intuition.

The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from one of the novels I read a long time ago:

“My point is, there are a lot of people in the world. No one ever sees everything the same way you do; it just doesn't happen. So when you find one person who gets a couple of things, especially if they're important ones... you might as well hold on to them. You know?”

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen. It's a great quote right there!

Good topic, I love quotes, so without further ado, here's the first:

The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be', there is only what is.

Said by Lenny Bruce, it basically means that we should stop setting unrealistic goals and stop trying to live our lives according to them.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

By Martin Luther King, Jr. A really beautiful and inspirational explanation to the word 'fate'. It means that you should proceed with your quest even if the end is uncertain.

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Said by Buddha. It's a very inspirational and positive quote and I love it.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done." - Aesop

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and

so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which

has opened for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

I got a lot more, bot those two are my favorites.

Excellent topic, I love a good quote. Here are some of my favourites, mostly from movies or television, I just love a good scripted line (apologies if some are repeated, I may have glanced over a few in this thread):

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy (Benjamin Franklin);

Destiny may ride with us today, but I see no reason for it to interfere with lunch (Maximilian Schell as Peter the Great);

You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment (Ian Richardson as Francis Urquhart);

Heaven preserve us all from Friday night (Ian Richardson as Canon Black);

You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays (Robert Preston as Harold Hill)

Depravity can be terribly boring if you don't smoke or drink (Audrey Hepburn as Gabrielle Simpson);

Puns are the highest form of literature (Alfred Hitchcock);

We can co-exist, but only on my terms. You will say you lose your freedom. Freedom is an illusion. All you lose is the emotion of pride (Colossus, The Forbin Project)

Some of mine include:

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas Edison)

The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense. (Thomas Edison)

The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future. (Oscar Wilde)

Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life. (Oscar Wilde)

There's this quote by the famous author Jeffrey Archer I had heard for the first time when he had come to India. He was doing an interview on a popular news channel and to conclude he said,

"If you have talent and energy, you're king. If you have only energy and no talent, you're still a prince. But if you have talent and no energy, you're a pauper."

This quote inspired me greatly and still continues to do so.