Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

It's a bit long, but it's easily one of my all time favorite English quotes:

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, 'Universe.' A part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." ~ Albert Einstein

I enjoy that quote because I believe the words to be both deeply meaningful and true.

Anything by Mark Twain. His words had such sarcasm and bite and still resonate today in so many ways. Makes me wonder what's actually changed.

I love all his quotes but one of my favorites recently has been this:

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.

Mark Twain is good.

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive.

- Following the Equator "

I really love this thread!  A few of these quotes I have heard before, but most of them were new to me.  One of my favorite people to quote is the great Mark Twain:

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

The quotes I like best are the ones that inspire me to do well.Here are a few.

-Make hay while the sun shines :smile:.

-A rolling stone gathers no moss.

-Well done is better than well said , Benjamin Franklin.

-Time waits for no man.

-A stitch in time saves nine.

-Do all the good you can,by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can,to all the peopleyou can as long as you can.John Wesley.

My favorite is a quote by Lemony Snicket. “Of course, it is boring to read about boring thing, but it is better to read something that makes you yawn with boredom than something that will make you weep uncontrollably, pound your fists against the floor, and leave tearstains all over your pillowcase, sheets, and boomerang collection.”  Another great quote is “A man is as old as he feels to be”

Others are:

"Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the

doorbell."

"Good supervision is the art of getting average people to do superior

work."

"Wit is educated insolence."

I love this quote from Kurt Cobain that said, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I am not".

I like this quote. I think it is true that it does apply to most people. However, I would do things that I think it is right even though people hate what I have done.

One of my favourite quotes has been "Attitude, not Aptitude, determines Altitude" by Zig Ziglar. I have lived most of my life abiding by this quote and it has done a lot of good.

There are some pretty useful quotes above that I can use and some to ponder over. 

"The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree Quote"

Really awesome quote and has a really nice tie to family. Firstly to offspring being closely related to there parents but also refers really well to the family tree.

I love this quote from Kurt Cobain that said, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I am not".

I have a feeling that the quote predates Cobain and is wrongly attributed to him, like a bunch of other things. Not sure though.

:)Life is a !!!!! and then you die!

simple but epic

He that humbleth himself shall be exalted; but he that exalted himself shall be a base. This means when you humble yourself you will be rewarded . And when you exalt yourself you shall be but to shame. So always choose to be humble. :wink:

I'd also like to share a couple of my favorite quotes.

My first one... is by me. I say it often to remind myself that growth is a process and it should never stop.

"Constantly evolve."

Others include:

Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations. -Steve Jobs

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit. -Napoleon Hill