Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

These are some really excellent choices! I love collecting inspirational quotes, they can really help you through a rough time in life, or even just a bad day.

Some of my favorites:

"Never say anything which does not improve on silence" - Richard Yates

"Comparison is the thief of joy" - Theodore Roosevelt

"It always seems impossible until it is done" - Nelson Mandela -- I think this one is especially important to remember when it comes to learning foreign languages!

"By definition perfection is unattainable, but that does not give reason to not strive for it"

-Paladin

"Justice demands retribution"

-Paladin

and basically anything that Mark Twain would say <3

I love this topic:). I have a book where I write down quotes I like, parts of lyrics, pictures and so on.

I've been doing it for years. Now each time I open it, those pages can tell me, even better than photographs, what my life has been like then, by the types of quotes and lyrics that have made impression on me in that period.

I have too many there to put here, and I really don't have that many favorites per say. So I will just mention a few.

" I quit being afraid when my first venture failed and the sky didn't fall down." -Allen H. Neuharth

"If I have the belief I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I may not have it at the beginning." - Gandhi

"If you have build castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them" - Henry David Thoreau

"The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence, and educational advantages; the question is what he will do with the things he has. The moment a young man ceases to dream or to bemoan his lack of opportunity and resolutely looks his conditions in the face, and resolves to change them, he lays the corner stone of a solid and honorable success." - Hamilton Wright Mabie

"Every ceiling, when reached, becomes a floor, upon which one walks as a matter of course and prescriptive right" Aldous Huxley

Cormac McCathy is my favorite American writer. This quote is from The Road: "Listen to me, he said, when your dreams are of some world that never was or some world that never will be, and you're happy again, then you'll have given up. Do you understand? And you can't give up, I won't let you." Words from a father to his child. This means a lot to me; a ray of hope in a desolate world.

A couple of my favorites would be:

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. . . Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you." by Christopher Hitchens 

"Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace." by Oscar Wilde

The first one I love for its practicality, the second one for its beauty.

I love looking at quotes and I love TheStoryteller1's idea to write them all down in a book, that is an absolutely lovely idea. One of mine would be:

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." ~ Alexander Graham Bell

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”

This quote is an excellent one. So many people want to be winners, but they refuse to lace up their shoes and join the race.  With that said, my favorite quote comes from a Nike promo - 'just do it!'

My favorite would have to be one spoken by Oscar Wilde:

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much"

I think it's a great quote to live by, and a cheeky one as well. Plus, it teaches you forgiveness and tolerance on a much higher scale.

I also like the Nike slogan "Just Do It" and this quote from Michael Jordan that shows persistence and hardwork.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

I also love quotations by Albert Einstein and Mark Twain especially these two.  :smile:

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."

Albert Einstein

"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today."

Mark Twain

My favorite quote is, "I can't carry it for you but I can carry you." I thought it was mighty awesome when I first heard it and it has stucked to me ever since. The other would be, "Life was like a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you're gonna get."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

And for a less sophisticated quote...

"The stacks that I be splurgin

have girls in the back of the excursion

forgetting bout the fact that they are virgins.." - Fabolous

And then there was one from twilight when Edward told Bella that she was the air he breathes or something like that. It was pretty remarkable haha.

Here are just a couple of the ones that I have written down at my desk right now that I've been doing reflections on here lately.

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What does not kill me makes me stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche

Here is some unpopular, but rather true quotes:

"Money can't buy happiness but it's more comfortable to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle."

"Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then again neither does milk"

"Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them."

Also this one that's from an anime, but it's rather meaningful.

"lieveing things are restrained by Chains: The laws of nature, the flow of time, the vessel known as your "body", and the existence called your mind. The one chain that people can wield: WORDS."

Hi guys,

My favorite quote is by Blair Warren which goes:

"People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions and help them throw rocks at their enemies."

It's known as "one sentence persuasion."

Akiyama

"The most powerful weapon on Earth is the human soul on fire."

I found this one on pinterest, but I really love it. Since I am an actor, I am driven by passions and without that fire inside of me, I know that all my efforts to be successful would be pointless. This quote is a great reminder that motivation can be an incredible force.

Irish Proverbs:

There is misfortune only where there is wealth.

There is no pain greater than the pain of rejection

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Though wisdom is good in the beginning it is better at the end

The best way to keep loyalty in a man's heart is to keep money in his purse.

Speed and accuracy do not agree.

Pride feels no pain.

Only the rich can afford compassion.

Marriages are all happy; its having breakfast together that causes all the trouble

No use carrying an umbrella if your shoes are leaking.