Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I love a lot of William Shakespeare quotes. Here are a few of my favourites:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"

" I am not bound to please thee with my answer."

" No legacy is so rich as honesty"

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves."

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

I think this is the perfect quote for life. Everything you do to improve yourself takes immense effort but in the end instead of a rough block of marble you have a beautiful sculpture.

It has to be the one from the late comedian Bill Hicks,

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”

A favorite of mine from the late Nelson Mandela as regards language, "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart"

I love this quote by June Jordan from her "Poem for South African Women":

...we are the ones we have been waiting for

President Obama has used this quote in some of his speeches to empower his listeners to make change happen in their own lives and in the world we live.

Here is the entire poem:

“And who will join this standing up

and the ones who stood without sweet company

will sing and sing

back into the mountains and

if necessary

even under the sea:

we are the ones we have been waiting for.”

― June Jordan

I like English quotes very much. I enjoy reading and learning them much. It's like a hobby to me. I like Ralph Waldo Emerson: “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

I admire this quote.

Here is one of my favorite quotations about language and my own quotation both combined:

Language is the dress of thought, said Samuel Johnson

and I complete this by saying:

Grammar is the dresser.

Here is one that I heard just last week. It goes that you never really run out of ideas you just stop thinking or you keep thing along the same lines. That really helped me deal with some things that were really bothering me.

Here are a few that I particularly like:

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

― Dr. Seuss

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

― Mae West

“A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.”

― Elbert Hubbard

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

― Ernest Hemingway

“Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”

― Socrates

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”

― Winston Churchill

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.”

― Mark Twain

Inspirational, from a giant of American literature:

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

I actually have two favorite quotes:

• “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” This quote is often attributed to Albert Einstein but there's no proof that he ever said/wrote it. I think whoever wrote it is a genius.
  • "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God." A lot of people think this was the work of Nelson Mandela, but it was actually Marianne Williamson who wrote that. I love this quote, so does my brother, although he first heard it from the movie Coach Carter  :grin:

One of my favorite English quotes and one that I have been using lately is  "He who fights and run away will live to fight another day." With the heart of mankind growing desperately wicked , I find that I often have to be steering a lot of young people into the path of peace and I often use this quote.

"I hate the idea that when it comes to books and learning, hard is often seen as the opposite of fun. It's strange to me that we would be so quick to give up on a book or a math problem when we are so willing to grapple, for centuries if necessary, with a single level of angry birds." - John Green

My favorite quote is in the Bible. Romans 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Wow! What an assurance. I can never be disadvantaged in this life.

I have always love William Shakespeare. So I love these quotes, "If music be the food of life, play on." And another personal favorite of mine, "The sun itself sees not till heaven clears." Definitely he was a deep person.