Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

Thank you for sharing your story tinytinsparrow, I think it's a great quote you selected and I agree with what you say, nothing like setting small goals to see how we progress, huge goals sometimes make us believe we are doing nothing and that is not true!

There are many many quotes that I love, here's one that I find amazing:

"The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes." Thomas Hardy

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

My favorite quote:

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer

I love this saying because I truly believe that if you love what you're doing then you will be successful. We should do something we are passionate about. Happiness should be our main priority and not money.

My absolute favorite quote is by Mary Anne Radmacher: "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow."

I've struggled with abuse through over a decade of my life and live with PSTD and major anxiety issues because of it. It impacted all parts of my life. I plan on getting this tattooed somewhere on my body one day to remind me that sometimes baby steps are okay as well. Just because you didn't get far one day doesn't mean that you failed, just as long as you didn't give up.

I love this quote as well. It's always the minor details that make big changes in most things. Taking baby steps or small steps require a lot of courage too. But it's okay to be take things slowly. One step at a time :)

What caused your PTSD in the first place, if you don't mind me asking? Something bad in the past?

“On the Road that I have taken, one day walking I awaken, amazed to see where I've come, where I'm going, where I'm from.”

Do you know from where I copied this?  :tongue: It is from a non-existent book by a famous author. Find it if you can.  :smile:

Here are some of my favorite quotes that have stuck with me:

From The Wind in the Willows:

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,"

From The Phantom Tollbooth when Milo meets with the "Whether man" who tells him:

"for after all it's more important to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be"

From Dr. Suess:  "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

Lewis Carroll:

“I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then”

• 3 weeks later...

I think my favorite quote would be "I find it kinda funny I find it kinda sad that the dreams in which i'm dying are the best i've ever had." from the song Mad World

I love that song :D. I first heard it in the film "Donny Darko".

Here is some more quotes from the book of counted sorrows:

“Whiskers of the cat,

Webbed toes on my swimming dog;

God is in the details.”

“The whisper of the dusk

is night shedding its husk.”

"Evil is a faceless stranger,

living in a distant neighborhood.

Evil has a wholesome, hometown face,

with merry eyes and an open smile.

Evil walks among us, wearing a mask

which looks like all our faces."

"In the real world

as in dreams

nothing is quite

what it seems."

"Life is so ironic.... I takes sadness to comprehend snappishness, noise to appreciate silence, and absence to value presence." Great quote and would love to know who's it from.

"You are afraid to die, and you’re afraid to live. What a way to exist.” – Neale Donald Walsch

"Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance.” – Ruth E. Renkel

The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow. - Bob Marley

Here are mine:

From the Bible..."And Ruth said, where thou goest I will go.  Where thou lodgest, I will lodge.  Thy people shall be my people, and thy god, my god." 

And From We Bought a Zoo "Sometimes all you need in life is 20 seconds of insance courage."

I love those quotes and they have so much meaning to me.

There are so many beautiful english quotes that it's hard to choose just one! In fact, I can't. Although the one that I always think of is "Love your life, every minute of it." but I have a whole Pinterest boards filled with quotes and inspiring images

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody most likely already said this one, but..

"Not all those who wander are lost"

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

I actually have this quote on a bag that I carry, and it means a lot to me, because I've done a lot of wandering in my life (different jobs, different places, trying to figure out where I'm going) but it doesn't mean I don't have any direction. It just means I like to experience life in a variety instead of staying stuck doing the same things forever! :)

"Do not let fear control you, make it serve you"

- Raistlin Majere, Dragonlance

This has always been my mantra as a child. Ever since I read that line, I never knew I was also more than capable of conquering my fears. This is something I'm really thankful for, ever since I discovered the series and my favorite book character of all time, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm not a big fan of quotes but there are some quotes i love.

i love a quote as long as it has some meaningful advice in it. one i like is: "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." -mandela

These are my favourite motivational quotes :

"As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all beings." - Dalai Lama Xiv.

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." - Dalai Lama Xiv.

"Remember; Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have, it depends solely on what you think." - Dale Carnegie.

I would like to share some of my favourite English quotes with you here. Mostly inspirational quotes…it’s incredible how much motivation a quote can give you…don’t you think so? Just a few words…but sometimes really powerful! I am not going to mention the author of the specific quotes…there is no special reason for that. Feel free to post your favorite quotes AND the author if you feel like :=)

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”

“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

“I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking”

“It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life,it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power!”

“What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.”

„Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.“

“Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done”

“You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.”

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”

I am looking forward to see YOUR favorite quotations! Happy Posting  :o

Aha this is a good one. I think my favorite quote of all time is:

"The only way to win, is not to play"

This ties into a lot of emotional and physical situations what we find ourselves in a lot of the time. Sometimes when you feel angry or sad, you have to remember. "The only way to win, is not to play". Just let it go. The only way to feel better, is not to care. The only way to feel better, is to stop feeling bad and just feel better.

It's easier said than done. But it is one of the building blocks to a happy life.

• 2 weeks later...

I have so many favorite quotes!  I think one of the most meaningful is this:

"The only difference between stepping stones and stumbling blocks is the way in which we use them." 

Unfortunately I've never seen an author credited with this one, and have only seen it as "Author Unknown."

Most of the great quotes have already been posten, however, I'm going with a simple, yet meaningful quote from the Rolling Stones:

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find...You get what you need"

My favorite quotes are the following:

“When I was in grade school, they told me to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them that didn’t understand life.”

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

“Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you really want is someone who would take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.”

“Love makes time pass. Time makes love pass.”

“There may be some people that have more talent than you do, but there’s no excuse for someone to work harder than you do.”

“Some people want it to happen. Some wish it would happen. Some make it happen.”

“They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”