Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

I would like to share some of my favourite English quotes with you here. Mostly inspirational quotes…it’s incredible how much motivation a quote can give you…don’t you think so? Just a few words…but sometimes really powerful! I am not going to mention the author of the specific quotes…there is no special reason for that. Feel free to post your favorite quotes AND the author if you feel like :=)

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”

“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

“I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking”

“It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life,it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power!”

“What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.”

„Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.“

“Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done”

“You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.”

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”

I am looking forward to see YOUR favorite quotations! Happy Posting  :o

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

that's a call thread, Marcel! I really like those two quotes that you posted:

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

I would like to add some of my favourites too:

Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a chance of being a prophet.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.

Ok, here comes my favourite one:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Anything from Mr. Burns (Simpsons)

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"

"I've always felt that there's far too much hysteria these days about so-called cheating. If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty as an American to do it. Why should the race always be to the swift or the jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them? Well, I say cheating is the gift man gives himself!"

Ok, here comes my favourite one:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing. Will save it for myself, if you don't mind.

The civilization game series has always been really good for clever and inspiring quotes, here are a few of my favourites:

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."

--Socrates

"Do not wait to strike 'til the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."

--William Butler Yeats

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

--George Santayana

You would probably be surprised how much of a language you can learn from playing game. It's easy to associate images with words and it really helps you to build up a vocabulary of some less common words.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Benjamin Franklin

I love this one!  It's very true for some!

One of my favourite quotes, though I don't know the author, is

"The most compelling evidence we have that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is simply that none of it has tried to contact us!"

Makes me chuckle every time, hehe!

This is a great idea for a thread, I'll have to memorise several of these. Some are just amazing... Awe-inspiring.

Thanks, guys.

I am dancer, so I will share some inspirational quotes that speak to me as an artist.

"It is with your feet that you move, but with your heart that you dance"

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance" - Dave Barry

"Dance like nobody is watching. Love like you've never been hurt. Sing like there is nobody listening. And live like it's heaven on earth." - William Purkey

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique. They are great because of their passion." - Martha Graham

Love the list of quotes that has already been started!

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think."

"Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold - but so does a hard - boiled egg ."

"People will not remember what you say; they will even forget what you do. But they will never forget the way you made them feel."

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore (so actually J.K Rowling)

"Goals are dreams with a deadline"

I am enjoying these quotes tremendously.  It's so uplifting to read so many inspirational words all at once, from such a diversity of authors.

Here are a few of my favorites that I've collected over the years:

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." --Zig Ziglar

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within."  -- Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." --Arthur C. Clarke

"I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often." --Brian Tracy

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are."  -- Bernice Johnson Reagon

"Never, never, never, never give up" -Winston Churchill. Eight powerful words for me. 'Til now I use this quote in my everyday interactions with people. This quote also gives me passion to what I do.

"Oh, a lion hunter,

in the jungle dark,

and a sleeping drunkard,

up in Central Park.

and a Chinese dentist,

and a British queen,

all fit together

In the same machine,

nice, nice, very nice

nice, nice, very nice,

nice, nice, very nice,

all these different people,

in the same device"

-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

This is certainly the most intriguing thread. I am having so much fun perusing some of the best quotes ever :)

Here are some of the quotes I use often -

1.) "You gotta dance like nobody is watching."

2.) “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

3.) "Never tell your problem to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have them"