Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

Although it's not technically a quote people often use it that way in colloquial English. It is from Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam A.H.H. in case anyone was interested.

This on is incredibly long, but it's still my favorite, and I try to live by it when I can think of it. It's by Max Ehrmann.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

My favorite quote ever (and don't get at me for being cliche) is:

"I took the road less traveled by, and that made all the difference" by Robert Frost.

I think it just sums up everything that I in my personal life tries to accomplish. I'm not trying to follow the conventional route and be the same as everybody else. I want to be different and be bigger and better.

One of my favorite quotes is by the Artist Andy Warhol. He said:

"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."

Thanks for creating this great topic. I always enjoy reading new quotes (and old favorites as well).

I have a thing for quotes....I have collections of them! lol. Some of my favorites are;;

"Not all those who wander are lost."

"The best way to predict the future is to create it."

"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

A quote that really gets to me.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

― Dr. Seuss

It's such an inspiring quote for motivation and moving forward in life. Whenever I'm feeling down about something, I just think about that quote and it gets me through the day.

Always tears me up. One of the best and most uplifting quotes ever and I almost always imagine someone like Mr. Rogers speaking it.

Its reasons like this that Dr. Seuss should be compulsory reading for quotes.

My favorite quote ever (and don't get at me for being cliche) is:

"I took the road less traveled by, and that made all the difference" by Robert Frost.

I think it just sums up everything that I in my personal life tries to accomplish. I'm not trying to follow the conventional route and be the same as everybody else. I want to be different and be bigger and better.

that is also one of the best quotes i've ever read.  i love the moral of the quote.  it also speaks to me, personally.  i think anyone that has made a sacrifice or marched to the beat of their own drummer can relate to Frost's quote. 

There are so many English quotes which I love very much, and which I find motivational and inspirational. A favorite quote of mine is from Albert Einstein: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I also love another quote he has which says: " Imagination is more important than knowledge." Another favorite quote of mine is from Thomas Edison: " Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try one more time." He also had this quote which came up with after he made many attempts to create the light bulb: "I've not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

There are so many English quotes which I love very much, and which I find motivational and inspirational. A favorite quote of mine is from Albert Einstein: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I also love another quote he has which says: " Imagination is more important than knowledge." Another favorite quote of mine is from Thomas Edison: " Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try one more time." He also had this quote which came up with after he made many attempts to create the light bulb: "I've not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

I enjoy your preferences :). It amazes me how many people don't realize the amount of insightful quotes from Einstein.

Guest isabbbela

It too shall pass.

This is my all time favorite quote, one that I always tell myself, way too often. I find that it is a very hopeful and comforting.

My favorite English phrase is probably "Speak softly and carry a big stick" from Teddy Roosevelt.

I love this phrase for various reason. Firstly, Teddy is one of my favorite presidents and I think this phrase encapsulates what he was all about. Also, I just think it is a generally good phrase to live by. Don't go around looking for trouble, but be prepared to defend yourself should trouble come after you.

Guest akasha24

I absolutely love quotes. I read a lot of quotes and some are very inspirational. My favorite quote would have to be: "Live each day like it's your last". I even have this quote tattood on my wrist.

My favourite English quote would have to be:

"keep moving forward"

They're 3 simple little words that have had the biggest impact on my life. I've had so many ups and downs in life and when these disappointments happen to me, this quote is what keeps my head up high.  :smile:

Not really a famous quote, but a quote me and my friend made up, haha:

"He who is blind, can see equally well in the dark as in the light."

Kind of common sense stuff if you ask me, but it sure as heck does make sense if you think about it.

Ok, here comes my favourite one:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you so much Fabrice for this quote. I love it! I have so many favorite quotes. But that I really love is this one by Albert Einstein:

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

"The only thing I hate worse than liars is skim milk - and skim milk is just water lying about being milk." - Ron Swanson from the TV show, 'Parks and Recreation.'

"I can resist anything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde

"Who are you going to believe? Me, or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx (though I swear I can hear it when many politicians talk)

"No matter how cynical I get, it's hard to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

These are some of my favorite quotes which I recently posted on my blog. I just felt they mean a lot and motivating.

Goals are not only absolutely necessary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us alive.

Do not stand much at your mistakes of the past, they will ruin your present, and turn your future into wreckage, only take a pause and look at them, it will give you a new push in the way of truth and righteousness.

I do not fear failure. I only fear the “slowing up” of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, “Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?”

Well heres one about speaking another language so it's quite apt for this forum I feel:

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart."

Nelson Mandela

Wow, does it happen to a lot of men? It sure is a nice quote. Thank you for sharing!

I've always believed in the phrase "there's nothing to fear but fear itself". I don't even know where I first heard it, why it stuck to my brain, nor have I researched anything about it, but it matches well with my own philosophy of not allowing my own fears control my decisions.

I love this one!  It's very true for some!

One of my favourite quotes, though I don't know the author, is

"The most compelling evidence we have that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is simply that none of it has tried to contact us!"

Makes me chuckle every time, hehe!

This is a great idea for a thread, I'll have to memorise several of these. Some are just amazing... Awe-inspiring.

Thanks, guys.

That is a great quote you have found right there! I like it a lot! Thank you for sharing it here! Cheers!

My favorite quote since I was a child is "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best." Having heard this at a very young age helped my attitude towards life as I was growing up. I had this thinking that I always had to be ready for whatever comes my way, and that if things do not go according to what I planned, at least I did all that I could and that I was somehow prepared for it.