Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

My favorite quotes are from Oscar Wilde:

True friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

Oscar Wilde

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.

Oscar Wilde

My favorite quotes are from Oscar Wilde:

Oscar Wilde said (and wrote) some awesome things :) He really was an excellent writer.

My favorite quote by him is "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

I like this one because it is a riddle:

A man is holding and looking at one of two things in his hand and says:

"Brothers and sisters, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son."

So what is he holding, a mirror or a photo? Who is in the image at which he is looking?

If he says that man's father is my father's son, surely he is holding a photo of his own son? Because  he is his 'that man's father and he is also his own father's son? :o

That was more complicated than I first imagined, hehe! Nice quote / riddle though: maybe we should start a thread on riddles and try to solve them? :)

If he says that man's father is my father's son, surely he is holding a photo of his own son? Because  he is his 'that man's father and he is also his own father's son? :o

That was more complicated than I first imagined, hehe! Nice quote / riddle though: maybe we should start a thread on riddles and try to solve them? :)

I put that riddle out on facebook once (and I've got a lot of friends who actually answer pay attention to my posts... IDKW) and it turned into an argument. Funny that, considering you are the only one who answered in this thread and you are right. But let's try it as its own thread and see if there are some other fun riddles are there!

These are some of my favorites:

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Henry Stallin Haskins

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.”

Walt Disney

“The best way to predict the future is to invent it.”

Alan Kay

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”

Aristotle

Oscar Wilde said (and wrote) some awesome things :) He really was an excellent writer.

My favorite quote by him is "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

Yes, that's a great one.  Oscar Wilde was so brilliant and so profound.  Here's one of my favorites from him:

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

“A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.” (Henry David Thoreau)

Each time I read a book, I remember this one. :)

This a quote my water polo coach used to tell us in high school. I was captain and it kind of struck me a little, so I decided we would have it engraved on a whistle and give it to him at the end of the year.

"Win if you can, lose if you must, cheat always."

Now I don't really agree with it, as I do not see the need to cheat for anything. For me, it represents a mentality of doing whatever you can to get what you want from life while also realizing that unfortunately you can't always win.

I like lots of English Quotes but here are some of my favorites:

Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands. But like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them you will reach your destiny. By Carl Schurz.

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. By Helen Keller

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us. By Alexander Graham Bell

Oh, I have many but here I want to share one of my most favourites - I have it on my Shelfari profile, above my book shelf:

Outside of a dog, book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

I love it, especially as it can't be translated in a way to fully keep the play with the words  :laugh:

Here are some of the best ones I have:

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The reason adults should look as though they are having fun, is to give kids a reason to want to grow up."

- Patch Adams

"To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate.

- Michael Jordan

"You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."

- Zig Ziglar

"In any situation, the best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Oh, I have many but here I want to share one of my most favourites - I have it on my Shelfari profile, above my book shelf:

Outside of a dog, book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

I love it, especially as it can't be translated in a way to fully keep the play with the words  :laugh:

Always loved this one. Groucho Marx was a genius.

My favorite was always this one...

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Oscar Wilde is such a man of wisdom.

My favorite quote from him:

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

“A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.” (Henry David Thoreau)

Each time I read a book, I remember this one. :)

Yes, indeed.  The power of books!  Henry David Thoreau is also among my favorites, ever since I was a teenager.  Here's another one from him that I like:

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'.

~Erma Bombeck

"When in hell, keep going. "

~Churchill

These are my favorites ones simply because they keep pushing me forward no matter what.

"Virtue is what makes us uniform; sin is what makes us unique"

It's an interesting little comment, I don't know where I heard it from. People strive towards what they think is the norm and stigmatize what they think isn't, only to find that they are hiding their true selves.

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

― Marilyn Monroe

“Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.”

― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

― Kurt Vonnegut