Linguaholic

German using Rosetta stone

A friend of mine suggested Rosetta Stone as a great program as far as German goes. Is it actually good for German? I've heard that Rosetta Stone's French edition isn't particularly good.

Are there any other language learning softwares you'd suggest for German?

I basically agree with the first reply.  All of the programs are excellent and people seem to attain very good results with them, particularly compared to similar programs.  To me the main disadvantage is simply the cost.  I don't know who told you bad things about the French one, but I am surprised- I only hear good things about their programs.

Well, if you take a look on all the benefits you have with such a programm I am sure it is worth it. Not everything is free or only costs a few bucks.

I'll agree with this. A friend of mine used Rosetta Stone for Spanish and swears by the software. It one of the most interactive softwares out there with its only flaw being that its modus operandi for different languages is too similar. What might work for Spanish or German may not work for Japanese or Hindi.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am much more confident about Rosetta Stone now.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried it out in the past, after reading many rave reviews. Maybe it was an older version that I tried, but it seemed far too... "Simple" for me. For example, I can remember a woman saying "Katze", and you would have to click on a picture of a cat. I thought Rosetta Stone would be a little more fun or interactive, or even immersive, but it fell flat for me. I tried the French version out as well, but it was the same story.

I also agree that Rosetta Stone isn't really the best, especially for how much it costs. It's both too simple and too complicated for the task it claims to do, as well as being quite uninteresting. Perhaps it works well for some people, but I cannot see really using it myself.

• 1 month later...

I have a friend using Rosetta Stone - German and he enjoys it. The only thing he doesn't like is the price point. He said there are "group/live" lessons, where he can chat to native speakers after awhile, which he enjoys. I've used it for French (through a trial) and didn't enjoy it, but I don't know if it's because I had limited access to the program or not.

• 3 months later...