Linguaholic

Favorite Books to Read in French

tulosai

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some books to read in French for an intermediate speaker.  They don't necessarily have to be by French authors but that would be a nice bonus :) I just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in French and am longing for another book to read.

Oh, I was jus about to post a simialt thread, so I will use any recomendations too!

The last books I've read in French were of the Harry Potter series. Since I read them before in Bulgarian (and the last book in English too) they were quite easy but still very interesting at the same time. I loved how they changed and translated all of the names. Well, almost all of them, Rogue as Snape didn't strike me as good one (X-men, anyone?) bur Pouffsouffle as Hufflepuff I loved  :laugh:

Another thing I read lately - but rather a rereas, since I love the story so much I keep reading it in different languages - was Cyrano de Bergerac. I had some hard parts, but I imagined the movie and the actors saying the lines so it was ok  :grin:

Aaand the rest of my French reads is made out of manga and comic books. Yay and long live Asterix - and Inuyasha too.

So I will use your reccomendations too :D I read almost everything except for ultra modern prose

I don't know. I would like to start reading some French books to get the hang off this language soon. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for more suggestions. Is there any guide for a beginner?

Wowtgp, why don't you try some adapted works? They can often be great reads for beginners. My first books in French were adaptations of stories by Georges Simenon and novels of Le petit Nicolas series (but I didn't enjoy them that much for they were too childish). But Simenon was great!

Or you could try reading in French a book you've already read in your own language. It makes things easier and you can compare both versions.

But there are many other members in the forum with greater French skills than mine, so they will probably provide you with better recommendations!

I don't know. I would like to start reading some French books to get the hang off this language soon. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for more suggestions. Is there any guide for a beginner?

This makes me feel like quite the novice, but I never really considered reading some of my favorite books in another language  :wacky:

I do, however think it is a fantastic idea as you would have a general idea, at least, of the book and what may be happening to help with translation and understanding.

This makes me feel like quite the novice, but I never really considered reading some of my favorite books in another language  :wacky:

I do, however think it is a fantastic idea as you would have a general idea, at least, of the book and what may be happening to help with translation and understanding.

The best thing to do if you are nervous is pick a lower level children's book (I don't necessarily mean a picture book, but something by say Rohl Dahl or Harry Potter or similar- though you can go to a lower level book if you are more comfortable) and start there.  When I first started reading in French I did use picture books, though I was in France at the time so they were easier to find.  Keep a dictionary by you and don't be afraid/ashamed to use it.  You'll be surprised how much you understand, and of what you don't, how much you can pick up from context.

Oh, I was jus about to post a simialt thread, so I will use any recomendations too!

The last books I've read in French were of the Harry Potter series. Since I read them before in Bulgarian (and the last book in English too) they were quite easy but still very interesting at the same time. I loved how they changed and translated all of the names. Well, almost all of them, Rogue as Snape didn't strike me as good one (X-men, anyone?) bur Pouffsouffle as Hufflepuff I loved  :laugh:

Another thing I read lately - but rather a rereas, since I love the story so much I keep reading it in different languages - was Cyrano de Bergerac. I had some hard parts, but I imagined the movie and the actors saying the lines so it was ok  :grin:

Aaand the rest of my French reads is made out of manga and comic books. Yay and long live Asterix - and Inuyasha too.

So I will use your reccomendations too :D I read almost everything except for ultra modern prose

You are like my French reading soulmate- I love Cryrano in general but especially in French, and i Love Harry Potter (though I found it harder to get through than I thought in a foreign language).

Cyrano is wonderful, isn't he?  :love:

And true, Harry Potter isn't the easiest, but it sure is fun!

This thread really got me pumping, so I finally picked myself a real book in French to read! Haven't done this in 2 years! (I don't count comic books and articles)

So wanna see my picks  :tongue:

9782213609096.jpg

I adored the animation series of this when I was a kid!

and

YtXarKpuCHTXfPM9hE9w8I6Mvzg.jpg

I love supernatural young adult books and this one looked good!

Ok, so now I am all loaded, but I need to read them too :D

What about you all, any other picks and recommendations?

I would like to recommend "Les misérables" by Victor Hugo. This is by no means an easy book to read but it is just beautifully written and therefore it is a "must-read". Give it a go Topcha, you will love it  :angel:

I never got around to reading any English books translated into French, although I did mean to read some - especially Harry Potter. It would've helped if I did, seeing as when I studied Advanced French I had to do a reading comprehension about boarding schools in France, which compared them to Hogwarts. I spent ages staring at the French translation of Hogwarts, getting very confused because it wasn't in the dictionary.  :laugh:

The only French book I've read is L'étranger by Albert Camus. Maybe not the best for a beginner wanting to improve their language as it's quite complex, but it raises some thought-provoking issues and is one of those books that will stay with you long after you've read it.

I would like to recommend "Les misérables" by Victor Hugo. This is by no means an easy book to read but it is just beautifully written and therefore it is a "must-read". Give it a go Topcha, you will love it  :angel:

"Les misérables" in original is on my list. But  I def need to start with something lighter and take it slow  :laugh:

Novels of JP Manchette are shortish and managable. Since he writes noir fiction his sentences are short, terse and tight with no great flourishes of description. The action is non-stop and fast. Try "La position du tireur couché".