Linguaholic

Jejemon, a coded language?

OddVisions

So, recently I've been looking at the Philippine Spanish language as well as Tagalog. I came across something known as jejemon; it was explained to me that this is basically the slang-term riddled form of Phillipine Spanish and is categorized by how little of it is actually understandable. With this in mind, I can't help but wonder if it might be good to use as a coded language.

• 1 month later...

Naaw. I don't think it would be a good coded language. I think it would really be deciphered. :)

Besides it being easily deciphered, it could also piss off the person deciphering the text because of how corny it is. Same goes with becky talk. :D

I wouldn't consider it a coded language as much as just a subset or even just a modern dialect. Of course in essence all languages can be considered codes of some sort but to me this is just another result of people refining the existing language into someone more suited for their own subculture.

So, recently I've been looking at the Philippine Spanish language as well as Tagalog. I came across something known as jejemon; it was explained to me that this is basically the slang-term riddled form of Phillipine Spanish and is categorized by how little of it is actually understandable. With this in mind, I can't help but wonder if it might be good to use as a coded language.

I think Jejemon is just an evolution of how to spell an already existing language rather than a coded one. You can see similar things on the internet, wherein different groups create their own "writing styles" and you can pretty much tell where they're from if you're familiar with the style they're talking in. Similar to things like "text-speak" or "chat-speak".

Jejemon is like that. It builds on the existing language - whether it be Tagalog, Tagalog/English hybrid, another language indigenous to the Philippines - and those who speak it don't add any new words, don't evolve the language or use the existing language differently. They just spell it in a way that would make it incomprehensible to other people who aren't familiar with it. It's a stylistic choice rather than a coded one and even people not well-versed in it can determine what it says if they know that all you need to do is take out superfluous letters and symbols in it.

Becky Speak - the language of the Gay community here - is more of a coded language than Jejemon because it's an actually spoken language that people wouldn't figure out unless they already know what the words mean (or if they figure it out based on the context of the conversation). Jejemon is more just spelling differences.