Linguaholic

English and writers

NATASHA

When writing in English it is very important to be able to use the correct grammar, spelling and vocabulary. For a writer the text can only be excitingto the reader if they use descriptive words so much so that the reader can imagine the scene that the writer is talking about.

Are there any writers here and how do you go about writing good English to engage the reader?

I got paid to write adult stories before (in person, not thru a website) and because of the nature of my "literary work", I used a lot of descriptive words and exaggerated the story a bit for a more flamboyant effect. You really have to be elaborate and descriptive when you write stories in general to engage and immerse the reader.

I'm not a professional writer but my rule for myself whenever I'm writing is to just write as how I would speak. I think readers tend to pick up on when the author is writing as naturally as possible and it probably contributes a lot of charm and personality to the writing itself. A least that is how I feel whenever I read something I consider to be well written.

In my case, I write the same way as I think and speak.  A writer must always have his own style and original thought, so even if he may not have wholly perfect grammar, he is able to express his thoughts with brevity and clarity.  I have always been taught to get to the point when writing, avoiding excessively fanciful language.

I'm no professional writer, but I do like reading. I do appreciate descriptive language, but only to a certain extent. I don't know, but I kind of sense writers who are overdoing it with their descriptions that their writing stops being fluid. I believe writers have to balance their writing style and not overdo things. One of the advantages of reading is for readers to have the chance to expand their imagination. When a writer describes practically everything, he leaves no room for the reader to imagine things.

Yes I am a writer, I stand to be counted. English is not my first language and sometimes the words do not flow as they should. I do my best by using word program so that I can notice spelling and grammatical errors. Writing is a passion that keeps the fire burning to get those words out to the readers. I guess that is all most writers hope for.

• 2 weeks later...

When writing in English it is very important to be able to use the correct grammar, spelling and vocabulary. For a writer the text can only be excitingto the reader if they use descriptive words so much so that the reader can imagine the scene that the writer is talking about.

Are there any writers here and how do you go about writing good English to engage the reader?

Hi. I do not write often but when I am motivated, I prefer to write using conversational English. I use vivid descriptions but as much as possible, I don't use fancy words too much. I, myself, like to read books. I love classic novels. What engages me to the books I read is the words used. When the words are highfalutin, I get uninterested. Even when it is about politics, economics, finance, I go for those articles that use layman's terms.

It all depends on the type of writing I do.

Sometimes you have very strict guidelines to follow, like for certain types of poems, then you have to be creative ,yet fluid in your style of writing, and use words that resonate with yourself.

Writing stories ,tend to be very different, you have to suss out the intended audience and write in a way that they can connect, so that brings you to another style of writing.

If I write recipe's there is very stringent rules to apply too, what type of measurements to use, how to explain use and tools etc.

Its also makes a difference if your writing in a general English, that is are you using American or British spellings and words dominated within each country or slang. There are different ways of expressing things more likely found in one cultural setting than an other.

My writings are generally with American English and mostly from the American continent set of styles, but also of a general European culture, and it does reflect my writing type and style.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.

First, I would point out two ideas:

· Writing is an art apart from speaking

· Writing is rewriting

I am a professional writer, as well as a veteran ESL teacher of over 30 years. It's actually difficult to respond to this thread in just a few words: reams have been written on writing, both for native English users and for those who use English as a second (or third!) language.

The complexity of writing in English aside, I would offer a couple of concepts that I consider essential in writing. The first would be organization, the second would be word choice.

When organizing your writing, you are actually organizing your thoughts. You may begin with a "controlling statement", almost like a title, something like "Writing in English requires organization and correct word choice." (That would be a sample controlling statement for this post, for example!) You may begin with a title, like: Organization and word choice in English writing. However you begin, you will follow this initial idea with a quick list of thoughts you wish to explain.

At first, it doesn't matter the order this list is in. What is important is to brainstorm a number of thoughts that you wish to communicate. Note them down. Then you can do the 2x2 priority system to put them in order-- look at the first idea, compare it to the second, decide which should come first, then compare the first with the third. Any idea that is out of place should be put in its place.

Once you've gotten that list, you may want to jot down several words that are relevant to each of your ideas. I will insist, there is no such thing as fancy words in English. English is a very rich language, with between 600,000 and 900,000 words available for our use. That is where word choice comes in.

Word choice means choosing exactly the word that communicates your idea. This can be an adjective that clearly elicits an image in the reader's mind. It can be an active verb that gives motion to the writing. It is not enough to use the 1000 or so common words employed in everyday language. Each topic will need its own, specific words to support the ideas. If a word you've noted seems too common, look for another, but you shouldn't just use a word because it seems impressive.... check its meaning and make sure your reader (your audience) won't be scrambling for a dictionary to understand your writing!

These are just a couple of ideas that should be applied to writing. Excellent grammar and spelling are a given, if a writer does not control grammar and spelling, no amount of composition or word use will overcome the disappointment and loss of trust in his/her authority when grammar or spelling get in the way. Think of it like a musician who is always hitting the wrong notes. No matter how great the song is, the listener will cringe. Grammar and spelling are our notes and should be used properly, long before other aspects, such as theme, development, etc are tried on for size.

So much to say about this, but this is a good start at least. Hope it was useful.

peace,

revel.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I am a writer; I am very passionate about writing and try to create content that I would also enjoy reading. English is not my first language and therefore there are times I make grammatical mistakes. I keep learning everyday how to be a better writer. I have come far from where I began.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to work writing articles for a software web site, so I needed to use a lot descriptive words in order to be as eloquent as possible using few words.  After all my articles were supposed to be short.  I must say I did it very well, but would have been able to do it better if only my then boss hadn't imposed so many ridiculous rules.

I write a lot, sometimes I get paid for it, sometimes not.  I agree with what someone else here wrote when they mentioned just writing how you talk.  That's how I write most of the time, in the same way that I speak.  However, there are times when I'm a bit more formal in my writing; I enjoy being able to use words via text that I would not normally be able to easily slide into a conversation without it sounding too contrived.

Some people may write with a lot of big words that they don't usually use in every day conversation, and that's fine for them, I guess especially if they are really trying to "sell" something.  Selling written work often involves adding more to one's writing than one would normally add than if it were just for personal use ie a letter to a friend.

• 9 months later...

I'm working on a novel.  I have never been published (mostly because I'm a chicken), but I have been told by many people I am very talented.  My method is to write what's in my head, as it appears in my head.  I don't want to disturb the flow of the novel.  Then I check to make sure it makes sense grammatically.  The most important thing is the flow.  Always get your ideas written down as soon as possible.  The grammar can be fixed later; it's not going anywhere.  You have to catch the idea before it floats away. 

I'm working on a novel.  I have never been published (mostly because I'm a chicken), but I have been told by many people I am very talented.  My method is to write what's in my head, as it appears in my head.  I don't want to disturb the flow of the novel.  Then I check to make sure it makes sense grammatically.  The most important thing is the flow.  Always get your ideas written down as soon as possible.  The grammar can be fixed later; it's not going anywhere.  You have to catch the idea before it floats away. 

I really hope you'll try to publish it. The worst thing that can happen is they reject it but then you can try again. One my favourite authors who writes thrillers said he got rejected more than 50 times before some publisher agreed to take his manuscript. And there are numerous examples of great writers who were not immediately recognized. You just have to keep on going! And well, there's always self-publishing - I've heard it works fairly well. Anyway, wish you luck and I'd be very curious to read your book :)

I really hope you'll try to publish it. The worst thing that can happen is they reject it but then you can try again. One my favourite authors who writes thrillers said he got rejected more than 50 times before some publisher agreed to take his manuscript. And there are numerous examples of great writers who were not immediately recognized. You just have to keep on going! And well, there's always self-publishing - I've heard it works fairly well. Anyway, wish you luck and I'd be very curious to read your book :)

Thanks.  Self-publishing takes money, though.  That's mostly what's holding me back.  I'm still in the process of writing the novel.  Then I have to find the money to get it out there. 

Well, I'm trying to learn how to do it myself, so forgive my inexperience. That said, I think I've made significant progress thanks to books and articles I've read on style. Style isn't as straightforward as grammar (then again, grammar itself gets quite controversial when it comes to subtle details) and you have to think for yourself about what you hope to achieve and, most important, about what the readers feel as they go through the text. So I wouldn't recommend just stubbornly sticking to some set of "rules" without ever thinking about them, but there are certainly some useful principles.

As a general introduction to the craft of writing, Stephen King's "On Writing" is a must, highly engaging and informative at the same time. Then there's the classic "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. Don't read it as the Bible of style, but take it as a starting point from which you can think about what goes into writing good prose, a basic framework. For a truly deep dive into prose and what it means to write well beyond the scope of simple rules, the next step is Joseph William's "Style", an amazing book packed with insights that will change the way you think about writing.

Also, I'm finding it quite useful to study copywriting, even though I don't plan on becoming a professional copywriter. That's because effective copywriting shares many qualities with what I consider to be my "ideal writing style": it grabs your attention from the get-go, engages you throughout the text while pushing its arguments, and gets you to take some action right now, having persuaded you enough by the end of the copy. If you're interested, check out "The Copywriter's Handbook", by Robert Bly.