Linguaholic

Kamusta kayo?

OddVisions

I told a friend Kamusta tol, and they told me that the way it should be said is Kamusta kayo. Is it a closer than friend thing or something? That I wouldn't mind so much but I think maybe kayo is just a word for friend instead of basically saying the equivalent of 'sup bro? in Tagalog.

I told a friend Kamusta tol, and they told me that the way it should be said is Kamusta kayo. Is it a closer than friend thing or something? That I wouldn't mind so much but I think maybe kayo is just a word for friend instead of basically saying the equivalent of 'sup bro? in Tagalog.

Kamusta kayo is more formal than Kamusta 'tol. The latter can be likened to your How are you bro? or 'sup bro? Kamusta kayo is used in asking older people or an older person or a person you respect, but not necessarily older than you. Or if there are two or more people you're asking, whether they're your friend or mere acquaintances, you can say Kamusta kayo? (How are you? Or How are all of you? Or How are you all?)

Kayo means you. It is a pronoun in Filipino that refers to two or more people. If used to address one person, he/she is either older or someone you respect but not necessarily older as I've said earlier. Kayo in that usage shows respect.

Hope that helps.

Oh! Thanks! It helps immensely! Kamusta kayo definitely sounds a lot better than telling my close friend kamusta tol. I'm just happy to have a way I can ask him how he is in his own language. You say I can use this with addressing a lot of people at once? Is this something you could use formally like at a meeting too or is it more like a family get together-related sort of word?

Oh! Thanks! It helps immensely! Kamusta kayo definitely sounds a lot better than telling my close friend kamusta tol. I'm just happy to have a way I can ask him how he is in his own language. You say I can use this with addressing a lot of people at once? Is this something you could use formally like at a meeting too or is it more like a family get together-related sort of word?

Yes Oddvisions, you can use Kamusta kayo? in addressing a lot of people at once. You can use it in meetings or family gatherings. It's considered conversational still in this time and age. It is casual too but more formal than Kamusta 'tol?

As regards your close friend, well, you can use Kamusta 'tol? I mean he's your close friend so it's the same as saying How are you bro? Or if you're not very comfortable with each other yet, then just say Kamusta ka? Ka is a pronoun that refers to only 1 person whom you consider a peer or as an equal and not an authority figure.