Linguaholic

Most Beautiful English Words

tulosai

I like the sound of the word incandescent.  Also the alternate meanings (heating to a point of glowing and also referring to brilliance or masterful) and the fact the incandescent bulb was "brilliance" of Thomas Edison, the inventor of the now typical light bulb makes it more attractive to me.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I like the sound of word "cantankerous". It's both beautiful and melodic but at the same time it sounds like a name of some dinosaur! I never had a chance to use it in real life though, ha ha.

I like the sound of the word incandescent.  Also the alternate meanings (heating to a point of glowing and also referring to brilliance or masterful) and the fact the incandescent bulb was "brilliance" of Thomas Edison, the inventor of the now typical light bulb makes it more attractive to me.

Incandescent and iridescent are both quite beautiful to me as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the sound of "ambiguate". Pity I don't get to hear it often  :nerd:

I also like "shadow" and "thunder" (and many other words) because their sound is somewhat connected to their meaning. I just can't recall how these words are called, like "clap" etc.

The first word that comes to mind is "quintessential". I don't know what it is about this English word that I like, but it just sounds nice to my ears.

There are many other words that sounds nice, but this is the first one that always comes to mind when asked the question.

One of the most famous English writers stated once that the word "cellardoor"  was the most beautiful word in the English language. I don't know if I would agree that it's the most beautiful, as beauty is most of the time subjective, but it is admittedly still very beautiful indeed. As for my own choice, I like the word "fluid". I think it conveys enough of what it represents with just its phonetic aspect, and I always love it when words do that.

Ahh! Where to begin ;)

Some of the most beautiful words that we use every day include:

Sumptuous - Luxurious

Ripple - Small wave

Onomatopoeia - A word that sounds like its meaning

And of course

Bumblebee (Or as my 4 year old likes to say, BumBum Bee)

Ahh! Where to begin ;)

Some of the most beautiful words that we use every day include:

Sumptuous - Luxurious

Ripple - Small wave

Onomatopoeia - A word that sounds like its meaning

And of course

Bumblebee (Or as my 4 year old likes to say, BumBum Bee)

Are you actually using this kind of words every day? You might be using sumptuous from time to time but ripple and onomatopoeia are kinda special words?, no ? Well maybe you are selling very luxurious apartments or you are writing Master thesis on animal-related onomatopoeia  :wacky:

Let me add some of my favorite English Words:

1. Inception

2. Maze (I don't know why but I just love the sound of it)

3. Hornet (sounds kinda weird though, still like it^^)

• 1 month later...

I've found the words 'elegant' and 'euphemism' to be really neat all-rounder words (in terms of speech and writing). I guess we all have our own favorites, and I would say each one of us has a unique pick on the topic.

I also find the word 'jazz' a nice word to hear and think about. It's probably because of what the word represents. It gives a mellow-like feel to the word because you start to imagine jazz tunes being played inside your head.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you consider to be the most beautiful English words?

I've always liked the word 'alliteration' 'umbrella' and 'ailurophile'.

What words do you consider to be pretty?

I like the word, Lovely, whenever someone says that word to you its makes you feel good about yourself.,  It is also telling you that you are very beautiful. So that why i like hearing that word. Have a lovely day.

I've always thought the work 'phenomenal' was very beautiful. I also love the word 'eloquent', it just sounds so sophisticated and proper. Lastly, I love 'grandeur' which is more French, but we still use it in English.

Let me at the onset take note of the quintessential seductive onomatopoetic beauty of many of the examples cited here. I find this discussion inspiring and conducive to an epiphany. Perhaps, the quintessence of some of this beauty has to do with their onomatopoeia, in so far as the word or I should say the phenomenon onomatopoeia testifies to this. You see onomatopoeia is the genesis of many wonderful words. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those are all beautiful words!  Here are some of my favorites:

Eloquent =  well-spoken

Mellifluous = sweet, pleasant to listen to

Resplendent = attractive, dazzling to look at

Transmogrification = to change into a different shape or form

Eloquent and resplendent have always been 2 of my favorite words.

• 1 month later...