Linguaholic

Freebie apps

Chris4Davi

I need an app that I can use on my phone, on the go both on and offline. The app should teach French and Spanish, both audio and visual aspects of the language. I have an android phone and my journey to work is normally long and boring so that is the time I would use it most. Any suggestions?

MindSnacks is a pretty funny game. I bought the Full Version and I must say that I had quite a lot of fun with it. However, I did not learn much from this program. It's still good fun and worth a try.

I'd like to second duolingo since it helps you in listening, speaking, writing and reading but I'd recommend that you turn off the speech practice unless you're okay with randomly speaking up when it prompts you to voice out a phrase.

Also - I haven't tried this yet really but someone recommended Word Bucket to me and told me that it's a fun way to learn a language since it incorporates learning with a game-like interface that makes the process fun.

And there's always Anki. The community has a lot of premade decks that you can download depending on your studying habits. There are decks that focus on listening to speech, some on written phrases and other still in both. It's been very useful to me so far. Good luck!

Thanks a lot, I think I am going to try Anki as I need to practice my speech and learn to listen and understand instead of just learning a few words then I am not able to comprehend what they are saying. I enjoy the speech lessons on Duoingo too as that is my weakest area yet, I have a hard time with the pronunciations.

• 1 month later...

Duolingo is a fantastic on to be honest, it is easy to use and also fun!

I started using it to polish up my French and I just can't stop ranting and raving about it.

All the best with your quest.