Linguaholic

The best reason I think there is to learn a new lanaguage

primalclaws1974

I know some people need to learn a second language to be able to function in a foreign society, or to do their job adequately, but there is another better, and more general reason. The best reason to learn a new language is to break down a culture barrier between you and a person (people). It is easy to shirk away from people that are different you. It is human nature to want to be around people like yourself. It makes even easier to avoid people unlike you, if you can't communicate with them. If you learn their language (or they learn your's), then you can get to know them. You will likely quickly come to understand them better, as well as their culture and practices. This can help deter prejudice as well.

Nicely put there! A lot of the prejudice going around in the world is the lack of understanding of each other. That is why the development of a language is considered one of the essential things in the development of society. And you're quite right, the inability to speak to one another because of language barrier is definitely the biggest thing that will prevent two people from understanding each other. People normally just make assumptions of each other when they don't have full understanding of each other's culture and perspective. So, yeah. It's real simple. We learn each other's language, then there is ease in communication and things can develop from there. Things such as understanding and respect.

Iagree, I think that is one of the best reasons to learn a new language. Often people are just way too stuck inside their own bubble so they never gain enough perspective by comparison with other cultures. Also, I think a good reason to learn a new language is personal enrichment. There is just a great sense of accomplishment from knowing that you know another language and it then gives you a bit more confidence that you can talk to people outside your own race.

Sometimes I imagine how great it would be if one got stranded in a foreign region and they find out that they can talk in the native language. My theory is that it does not hurt to know as many languages as humanly possible. I even find it romantic because one can be able to fall in love and communicate in the native language of their heart throb. There are so many advantages that can be gained by learning a new language.

• 2 months later...

I totally agree with you ladies. The understanding of each other's language and cultures is so vital in the improvement of race relations. I just wrote this somewhere else; explaining that where there's understanding, there's less suspicion and hate, which usually hinder smooth and harmonious race relations.

I think you make some great points. Everytime we have tried to learn a new language we have learned just how close minded we were about certain subjects. Then afterwards, we feel like we became aducated and brought closer to the native users. Learning language takes much humility. If we go into it thinking our culture is the 'best' we will fail to grasp the beauty of the language and culture.

I like learning, and trying to learn, languages because it allows me to communicate with so many different people.  I'm not yet fluent in anything, but I have studied bits of Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, American Sign Language, and Russian. 

Even without being fluent in any of these languages, I have met and became friendly with many different people.  Sometimes not only is it good for a person to learn a language, but it is good for people to know that you are trying to learn their language. Sometimes that breaks down the barriers and misconceptions that they might have towards you

I think that most reasons to learn a language have some kind of validity.  I mean, there are some people that are already sensitive to different cultures, want to learn about them, but just don't know the language.  In their particular case, learning a language doesn't make them less prejudiced because they weren't prejudiced in the first place.

Yes, that is indeed one of the best reasons to want to learn a new language, especially if you are about to migrate to a foreign country. But I guess for me, since I don't plan to do that, the best reason would be if it would improve your skill in a certain career field, like in a call center for example that pays more for foreign speaking agents.

You make valid points, I agree with you and I think that those are the best reasons to learn a new language. I also think if a lot of people look at it this way then the more we as a people would get tolerant and acceptance would also come easily! Language could very well be the bridge we need in filling up a lot of cultural gaps we face as different people!

Very smart primalclaws! That is very true.. it is more like a connection between different individuals, culture, and everything in between. There is more to language than merely just speaking it. Will definitely connect more and have a sense of belonging when we understand what each other is saying hence the word language barrier which means a language blocking or blockage and once we over come that.. we start to see each other’s world in a different point of view.

One of the best reasons to learn a new language is globalization. The world today has never been this competitive both on a professional and personal level. If you have a business and you want to get out of your comfort zone and expand the business, if you only speak your native language, let's say Japanese, you will have a difficult time communicating with people from the other parts of the world. Or if you want to travel, it's no fun if you cannot even express yourself and ask simple questions. Learning a new language, especially a widely used one like English, Mandarin, or French is a big advantage. It will make you better at what you do and take your farther despite the crucial competition.

Michael Andrews

Dialect Coach and Author of

’Learn the BRITISH ACCENT- FAST!’ and ’Learn the AMERICAN ACCENT- FAST!’

Another reason is for jobs. Jobs everywhere these days will take bilingual or better people way ahead of average joe A on the street. The culture barrier helps too, as well the general feel-good of knowing you could converse at any time with someone around someones head  :laugh: (kidding.)

Other than that, it always helps if you learn the language of the places you want to go on vacation, etc too - once again culture barrier. It'll make your stay more enjoyable.

I definitely agree. One of the reasons why I keep wanting to learn more Spanish is because I love immersing myself in the language and culture. When I learn a new word or phrase I get so excited and when I learn about the culture/story behind that word or phrase I get even more excited!