Linguaholic

Language "Bucket List"

MilleBille

1. Japanese (various dialects, e.g. Osaka, Kyushu)

2. Chinese Mandarin

3. Korean

4. (considering) Cantonese

So total of 6 languages. Then I either kick the bucket or I might add another one! Who knows :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hope to be fluent in all of these before I kick the bucket:

French

Japanese

Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese)

Latin 

Korean

Vietnamese

Celtic 

Gaelic

Um... and that's it, until I remember the rest of it... 

So far my bucket list is fluent in Spanish, French and Italian. I also want to be able to understand Japanese and be able to speak a little of it. I don't need to learn how to read or right it. I just want to be able to say hello and a few phrases in Japanese before I die.

This is a great idea for a thread! One of the things that I have always feared is loosing the skill I have in one language through lack of time and use. For example, years ago I was trying to learn Spanish and beginning to show some signs of progress. But due to geographical location, I had little chance to practice. Now if I meet someone who knows Spanish I can barely get out the most basic phrases. So my bucket list is to somehow have my learned languages fixed in my mind so that I can retrieve it anytime I want. Since this is a bucket list I will even put Spanish on it. Then basically, its all the language listed in my profile. This subject has me very interested in Polyglots. They seem to be able to leap in and out of different language with the greatest of ease. That is definitely bucket list worthy. 

I only want to learn Spanish, German and French, because those languages interest me and they are widely spoken worldwide. However, as much as I would want to be fluent in those languages, I am always lacking in time learning them.

For me it is Russian, Chinese and Arabic... not just because the languages are so different, but because the cultures are different also.  Arabic in particular must be fascinating if you can actually understand it because so much of the current news makes it seem like a mystery.

I have a languages bucket list too! I didn't realise this was such a common thing so I'm glad to see that there are more people out there with a languages bucket list!

The languages I'd love to learn before I die are:

Korean (I know a little, but I've got a lot more to learn yet!)

German (I know a few words but have a lot more to learn here too!)

Italian 

Finnish 

Portuguese 

Polish (I have several Polish friends, so it'd be a handy one for me!)

And I'd also like to learn more Spanish, although I have qualifications in Spanish and can speak it fairly fluently as I have a friend that is Spanish and we often switch between English (my native language) and Spanish (his native language).

I am determined to learn french and Japanese and I hope I can one day speak them fluently enough that I don't even have to think about it when I speak. I also hope that I get to that point with enough time and energy left to master a few more other languages like Spanish and Russian but I'd be happy just learning my two main priorities. I'm sure I can learn enough of the language with ample time to spare but I just hope I still have motivation to learn more once I past that point since I do think it will take a lot for me to learn them. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2016 at 3:20 PM, DivaDee said:

Hope to be fluent in all of these before I kick the bucket:

French

Japanese

Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese)

Latin 

Korean

Vietnamese

Celtic 

Gaelic

Um... and that's it, until I remember the rest of it... 

Um...what is "Celtic"? ;)

OK, I've got a bucket list.

I want to be C2 in these:

Russian, Esperanto, BCS, Cornish

I want to be able to read:

Old English, Middle Egyptian

I'd be happy with B1/B2 speaking/listening in:

Irish, Breton, Welsh, Gaelic, Lakota, Mohawk, Italian, German, Albanian, Finnish, ASL, Basque

There are many more I'd like to study linguistically (Kalmyk, Tuvan, Tlingit, Papiamentu, Sranan Tongo, Chinook Jargon, Pitkern, Cree, Ojibwe).

So many languages, so little time

• 2 months later...

My language bucket list includes Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Gaelic, Farsi, and Portuguese.  The Gaelic is a weird one but half of my family comes from Scotland and I would like to be able to read some of the old books and letters they left behind.  So I don't really need to speak Gaelic but read it.  I want to travel South America, so I want to learn Spanish and Portuguese.  Of course, I would love to go to France to see the art, architecture, and eat the food.  Farsi is probably a strange one but it's probably the second most common language where I'm living, I meet more people who speak Farsi than Spanish.  Which is weird for California.  

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my bucket list as it stands currently,

Spanish - Learning, Intermediate

French - Learning, Beginner.

Want to learn Chinese, German and Korean in within the next few years to at least at a semi fluent level.

• 4 weeks later...

Not including English, which I use as my first language, my language bucket list is...

1.  Yiddish.  Currently this is my strongest second language, I'm mastering it faster than I've ever learned any other language and I want to be 100% fully fluent in it.

2.  Spanish.  I know the basics and would like to be fully fluent for practical reasons.

3.  French.  I would like to be an upper intermediate speaker.

4.  Italian.  I would love to become an advanced speaker of this fascinating language.

5.  Hebrew (Modern).  Learning to become an intermediate or casual speaker would be nice. 

I haven't given this much thought either. I only made the decision that as soon as I feel that I'm fluent enough in one language I would move on to the next, I guess I will decide what the next language is when the time comes. 

My current bucket list includes:

German - I love the way it sounds and I'd like to be able to read Goethe's poems in their original language. Germany actually has a lot of authors that I'd like to read in German.

French - I hate French, hehe okay maybe hate is a strong word but I don't love it. My main reasons for learning it are 1. I keep meeting French people and most of them don't speak English 2. Balzac. 3. It's a useful language and quite similar to my native language.

Russian - I have a bit of a crush on Putin, I'm not sure if this counts as a reason. I'm an avid reader and Russia has a rich literary tradition.

Japanese - I know it might seem childish, but, well, I grew up with Japanese cartoons and now that I'm an adult I'd like to know more about these people.

Norwegian - I fell in love with Knut Hamsun and I want to understand the Norwegian soul.

Finnish - The Finnish language is extremely beautiful, both visually and the way it's spoken.

Icelandic - I like the fact that it hasn't changed much in hundreds of years and it's the language in which ancient Norse mythology is written.

The languages I already know are Spanish and English and I'm currently learning French. So I would say other languages I would love to learn are: German and Italian. My grandfather spoke Italian and I never got the change to learn from him. The problem with learning these languages is that it requires a lot of time and dedication. I have a lot of dedication but I don't have much time, I'm always doing things besides my regular jobs, in my free time I like to read which helps with my learning, but I admire people who manage to get time out of nowhere in order to learn these languages.