Linguaholic

If I was vs if I were

Were has a lot of rules.

It is used second person (you) singular

"Maria, you were totally right about Joan"

It is also used in both first (we), second (you) and third (they) plural 

It is also used in what is called simple imperfect subjunctive in all persons of be.

Ie. I wish that it were Sunday. or I wish that I were with you.

The second one is a bit more complicated, but if you want to make it simpler, just use the first rule, that's fine aswell.

I usually remember it in list form

I was, you were, he/she/it was, we were, you were, they were.

• 1 month later...

I don't know the exact terminologies, but MilleBille's reply generally gives you a perfect idea.

I guess, taken as a simple sentence, {Ex. I was alone last night.}, the rule on subject-verb agreement applies.

But if used as a subjunctive, the rule on agreement is ditched and ALWAYS use 'were' regardless of subject.

Ex. If I were you, I would study. NEVER, If was you, I would study.

Hi Dora M. The correct use of "if I was" and "if I were" depends on how the verb is used depending on various moods. Moods here refer to the way a verb expresses an action or a state of being. These moods can be indicative, imperative and subjunctive. Of the three, the most common and easiest to understand is indicative as it only makes statements or asks questions. Example, She is buying a Barbie doll for her niece. Imperative sentences are those that make requests or command. Example, Buy a Barbie doll. Here the subject, though not in the sentence, is often understood as "you". Subjunctive mood refers to hypothetical situations or ideas contrary to facts. Example, If her niece were a boy, she could buy that toy plane.

Please note that this last mood is most commonly expressed in the "if I" sentence. But this is not always the case, as in the sentence If I was at fault, I am sorry. Here, I am actually apologizing. This is the indicative mood. Subjective mood goes something like this: If I were at fault, I would say sorry. This sentence either tells us that I really apologize if I really did it or that my mistake and apology are both hypothetical. This is in the subjunctive mood.

Verba gave it to you precisely the way it is meant to be used! It all depends of the mood you are trying to convey! Like Verba already nicely put it for you, If I was is when the mood is indicative and If I were is pretty much regarded as being hypothetical therefore displaying a subjunctive mood. Subjunctive meaning the verb is used to express wish or a suggestion!

Hope that you now have a better understanding.

• 1 month later...

This is really subjective to your grip of the English language. I would say to an extent that a person conversating with you would not lose hold of the meaning of what you are trying to say if you used either was or were. But i think that there is a certain level of fluidity in the language that allows you to know where and when to place were or was within that particular sentence.

One way that helped me think about the subjunctive while in other intro language classes, which applies to English as well, was that the subjunctive is a "counterfactual" mood. This is a broad category you can put all the other things people have mentioned: wishes, hypothetical situations, and also hopes and desires (although was/were usually doesn't apply to that, that's found in other uses of the subjunctive.)

English is the only language I know of where there's only one word where there's still a difference between the past indicative and the past subjunctive: was/were is the only place that distinction still exists.

(This distinction also exists in the present subjunctive too, when talking about commands and desires: I asked that he be ready at twelve...)

However, all of this is fast fading out of many people's writing styles and the distinction is almost never made properly in speech, at least in the parts of the US where I've spent time. In some contexts the proper usage may even sound old-fashioned or overly formal.

• 2 weeks later...

It's always "If I were". This is a conditional sentence and when I learnt these in school, my teacher really hammered it home that it's never "If I was". However, this ONLY applies to conditional sentences. Otherwise, it's "I was..." and not "I were..."

I agree with the previous posters, they really covered all there is to say! It's that easy.

All you have to bear in mind is that if you are qualifying a speculative situation (e.g. what could happen, what might have happened, and what we wish would happen) then you would use the conditional "If I were", "If she were" etc.

"I was" generally describes something that actually happened or was happening in the past; as in "I watched.." or past continuous "I was watching..".

I still have trouble with "if I was" and "if I were". Who can explain to me once and for all when to use which?

Hi,

I had the same dilema and this app: bit.ly/FreeAppEnglish helped me to understand it :)!

It's interesting to note that, although both "if I were" and "if I was" are descriptively correct in subjunctive statements (though "if I were" may be considered more "proper"), only the former allows conditional inversion: "Were I to win the lottery, I would buy a private island" is fine, but you'll never hear anyone say "Was I to win the lottery, I would buy a private island" (even though you might hear someone say "If I was to win the lottery, I would buy a private island").